• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Care

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to get rid of dark spots caused by break outs? My skin is real sensitive and popping pimples and blackheads can leave marks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
What do you guys use to get rid of dark spots caused by break outs? My skin is real sensitive and popping pimples and blackheads can leave marks.
^^^Don't pop them. Apply an acne product containing salicylic acid such as Clean & Clear.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks, I've been using aveeno face wash for a while and stopped recently (didn't do anything)
and just used dove soap and cetaphil for moisturizer. Cetaphil has worked out real well for me.

Anything to treat the dark spots?

Mblova

Reaction score
What kind of products have Retin A and also, what is Castile soap?

studyscoot

Reaction score
Castile Soap is traditionally made soap, and generally made out of just olive oil, water, and lye. Long story short, "soaps" like ivory or dove or whatever is in the soap aisle, AREN'T really soaps but actually detergents. To learn the differences of both, consult google, but I'll just summarize and say that pure natural soaps are much better for your face, but also more expensive.

As for acne meds, Benzoyl peroxide is hands down the best. Don't use the 10% stuff though, that stuff will tear up your face. Use 5% or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoyl_peroxide

Here's a link to an ebay seller that sells my favorite soap, as well as a face wash with Benzoyl peroxide. Not affiliated with them in any way. This stuff is amazing, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acne-you-want-CL...item45f10226bd

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^Thanks, I've been using aveeno face wash for a while and stopped recently (didn't do anything)
and just used dove soap and cetaphil for moisturizer. Cetaphil has worked out real well for me.

Aveeno used to have a face bar soap that contained salicylic acid, and I thought it was good at preventing and treating acne. However, they now have a foam soap that I don't find to be as useful, and it is not air travel-friendly.

Reaction score
I am very consious about my face , i use olay products to keep my face ever glowing.

graphite

Reaction score
i use neutrogena tone correcting peel 1-2x/week or so.
AI_ToneCrctPeel_185x225.jpg
you can get it at walmart or any other grocery store probably. it's like 20 bucks a tube though
frown.gif
i think this stuff has made a noticeable difference in my complexion over time, but maybe it's just in my head. it probably works and is worth it. and then oil-free moisturizer, also at walmart and also by neutrogena. it's like 10 bucks a bottle, but you only use a tiny pump of it. i put it on in the morning after shave/shower, and before i go to bed.
OilFreeMstrCombination_185x225.jpg
it's good face lotion and oil free, so that's good. then i use this kiehls rare-earth mud mask thing, about 1x/week.
792_l.jpg
i don't really know what this stuff does, or if it's making a difference. and then i use kiehls facial cleanser in the shower.
714_l.jpg
this is a pretty decent facial cleanser, mild, and fragrance-free. leaves my face feeling clean and not oily or anything.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

an alpha hydroxy cream will help exfoliate the dark spots away gradually, as will any "skin lightening/whitening" cream, though without sunscreen during the day, these products are ineffective. there's also no instant gratification, unfortunately.

DenimDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needler
Retin A is where it's at. Practically every other "skin care" product has zero evidence showing that it does anything. Retinoids have been shown to not only improve skin appearance but slow and reverse aging effects. Drawbacks are that it increases sun sensitivity and for the first month or so you can get skin redness if you get the generic (non-delayed release) formulation. Did I mention generic tretinoin is probably cheaper than whatever OTC you're using? All the dermatology residents here use it and they have plenty of free time to compare skin care regimens.
laugh.gif

+1. Retinoids are the most tried and true skin care actives available to date. Skinceuticals has a powerhouse of a cream with 1% retinol. However, use with caution if you are "Retinoid naive".

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anthelios SX as a moisturizer/sunscreen for me. Not too greasy and protects against both UVA and UVB - so reduced wrinkling long-term.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys like for toners, I switched to neutrogena over the weekend and so far its terrible.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
What do you guys like for toners, I switched to neutrogena over the weekend and so far its terrible.
Toners? I've never used or thought of using one. I'm not sure what they do. What's the purpose?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Toners? I've never used or thought of using one. I'm not sure what they do. What's the purpose?

They help close the pores up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads