• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric weights?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering how fabric weights are deteremined

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
demeis: from my book, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes: Fabric weight for suits is measured in ounces per linear yard (36" x 60") of fabric. Â Tropical weights (6.5 to 8.5 oz.) are comfortable for summer wear. Â Mid-weight suits (9 to 10 oz.) are designated "year round" or favored for 10-month wear. Â Regular weight (11 to 13 oz.) is appropriate for fall and winter. Â Heavy weight (14 to 16 ounce) provides extra warmth but is most appropriate for winter in Scotland. Your not talking about yarn count and/or fabric grade are you?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No i was talking about suit and denim weights. Thanks for the responses

rockisshell

Reaction score
Abric weight is one of the ways in which tissues are classified. Fabric weight is measured in several ways. Typically, the fabric weight is measured by weighing a standard width of a yard or a meter on a scale.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AskAndyAboutClothes
Fabric weight for suits is measured in ounces per linear yard (36" x 60") of fabric. Â Tropical weights (6.5 to 8.5 oz.) are comfortable for summer wear. Â Mid-weight suits (9 to 10 oz.) are designated "year round" or favored for 10-month wear. Â Regular weight (11 to 13 oz.) is appropriate for fall and winter. Â Heavy weight (14 to 16 ounce) provides extra warmth but is most appropriate for winter in Scotland.
If this is the case, how do you convert ounce weights to grams per square meter, which is the measurement used by Italian mills like Zegna. 36" x 60" is 1.3935456 square meters. So do you convert the ounce to grams and then divide by that? So 11 oz is 223 g? That doesn't seem right.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't thought about the math, but for reference, 9oz cloth = ~260g.

For example:

9.17oz:
56r3.jpeg

9.17oz:
56rp.jpeg

Found this somewhere else:

That depends on the width of the roll. If you know the width of the roll in yards, divide like so:

ounce/linear yard / width in yards = ounce/square yard

then you can convert:

ounce/square yard * 33.9057475 = gram/square meter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limehouse Chappie
If this is the case, how do you convert ounce weights to grams per square meter, which is the measurement used by Italian mills like Zegna. 36” x 60” is 1.3935456 square meters. So do you convert the ounce to grams and then divide by that? So 11 oz is 223 g? That doesn't seem right.
Looking at some more swatches, I'm pretty sure you just calculate it by doing a simple conversion of ounce to grams. No need to worry about linear versus area.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limehouse Chappie
Looking at some more swatches, I'm pretty sure you just calculate it by doing a simple conversion of ounce to grams. No need to worry about linear versus area.

This is my experience too.

Patek14

Reaction score
Is it possible to determine weight on OTR suits? I dont see this information on the tags

jim10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
Is it possible to determine weight on OTR suits? I dont see this information on the tags

Good luck getting this info. I once emailed the Ralph Lauren web site this question about a suit I was going to order. Customer service emailed me back, asking me to let them know what size I wanted. They would then call the warehouse and have someone put that suit on a scale for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads