Fabric weights?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Feb 2, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

Wondering how fabric weights are deteremined

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

3. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

demeis: from my book, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes: Fabric weight for suits is measured in ounces per linear yard (36" x 60") of fabric. Â Tropical weights (6.5 to 8.5 oz.) are comfortable for summer wear. Â Mid-weight suits (9 to 10 oz.) are designated "year round" or favored for 10-month wear. Â Regular weight (11 to 13 oz.) is appropriate for fall and winter. Â Heavy weight (14 to 16 ounce) provides extra warmth but is most appropriate for winter in Scotland. Your not talking about yarn count and/or fabric grade are you?

4. demeis

demeis Senior member

No i was talking about suit and denim weights. Thanks for the responses

5. rockisshell

rockisshell New Member

Abric weight is one of the ways in which tissues are classified. Fabric weight is measured in several ways. Typically, the fabric weight is measured by weighing a standard width of a yard or a meter on a scale.

6. Limehouse Chappie

Limehouse Chappie Member

Fabric weight for suits is measured in ounces per linear yard (36" x 60") of fabric. Â Tropical weights (6.5 to 8.5 oz.) are comfortable for summer wear. Â Mid-weight suits (9 to 10 oz.) are designated "year round" or favored for 10-month wear. Â Regular weight (11 to 13 oz.) is appropriate for fall and winter. Â Heavy weight (14 to 16 ounce) provides extra warmth but is most appropriate for winter in Scotland.
    If this is the case, how do you convert ounce weights to grams per square meter, which is the measurement used by Italian mills like Zegna. 36" x 60" is 1.3935456 square meters. So do you convert the ounce to grams and then divide by that? So 11 oz is 223 g? That doesn't seem right.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I haven't thought about the math, but for reference, 9oz cloth = ~260g.

For example:

9.17oz:
    [​IMG]

9.17oz:
    [​IMG]

Found this somewhere else:

That depends on the width of the roll. If you know the width of the roll in yards, divide like so:

ounce/linear yard / width in yards = ounce/square yard

then you can convert:

ounce/square yard * 33.9057475 = gram/square meter

8. Limehouse Chappie

Limehouse Chappie Member

If this is the case, how do you convert ounce weights to grams per square meter, which is the measurement used by Italian mills like Zegna. 36” x 60” is 1.3935456 square meters. So do you convert the ounce to grams and then divide by that? So 11 oz is 223 g? That doesn't seem right.
    Looking at some more swatches, I'm pretty sure you just calculate it by doing a simple conversion of ounce to grams. No need to worry about linear versus area.

9. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

Looking at some more swatches, I'm pretty sure you just calculate it by doing a simple conversion of ounce to grams. No need to worry about linear versus area.

This is my experience too.

10. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

Is it possible to determine weight on OTR suits? I dont see this information on the tags

11. jim10

jim10 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to determine weight on OTR suits? I dont see this information on the tags

Good luck getting this info. I once emailed the Ralph Lauren web site this question about a suit I was going to order. Customer service emailed me back, asking me to let them know what size I wanted. They would then call the warehouse and have someone put that suit on a scale for me.