• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric weight, body temperature, and environment balance in NYC

MasterplayerC

Reaction score
Figured this was worth more of a discussion than "quick question" and did some searching but couldn't find anything this specific.

How do you balance the heat or cold outside with whatever temperature it is in your work environment (or train/subway)? I've been favoring linen even now with some 50degree mornings, simply because I find myself sweating in my office even without a sportcoat/jacket. Is it worth giving tweed or other heavier fabrics a shot?

How much do fabric weight/type and weather influence what you wear? Are there temperature ranges that make you lean one way or the other, or is completely arbitrary?

Question applies to suiting or otherwise. (I'm eyeing Epaulet for some trousers, given that their linen has treated me so well)

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYC subways kill me, because they are deathly hot. That prob ruins any point of nice heavier fabrics for you. I'm currently in Boston and walk a lot in which time I appreciate Oxfords and soon heavier suiting fabrics such as tweed.
Although I did find in NYC it was always best to go for the lightest and coolest fabric available and simply layer over it with something warm (sweater, pea coat ect). It prevented me sweating in the (overheated) office too because I simply took them off.

Hope that helps.

Xenon

Reaction score
Ah kindred folk.

This is a real pain for me as well because it appears that most people in northern climats (Canada at least) are complete wusses. Whenever it isn't stinking hot outside then it is stinking hot indoors and especially public transit (which I flipping hate with a vengence).

As such my suiting ranges almost exclusively from feather weight tropicals(5 oz) upto a maximum of heavy weight summer or 4 season (8 oz). The only exception to this rule are suitings I literally fall in love with such as heavier wieght cashmeres or very high super wools which only get worn in what others would call brutally cold weather.

It's also important to wear a summer weight shirt as well all year round. And an under shirt is completely totally out of the question. In mid summer I can't even wear a jacket. The jacket comes on in early fall. In late fall it's jacket and a vest (when 3 piece suit) or jacket and a light trench coat with which you can go upto freezing weather or rain. Below freezing it's just the jacket and a thinnish overcoat such as cashmere which is still very warm. Basically everything is light weight and comes off easily in transit. For instance on the bus I am down to my shirt with rolled up sleeves and same for office.

Some of the suitings I hear folk talk about such as 11 oz is totally insane unless you were born in saharan Africa and now find yourself in Siberia. Hell even my african born friend finds most native northerners complete wimps.

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah kindred folk.
This is a real pain for me as well because it appears that most people in northern climats (Canada at least) are complete wusses. Whenever it isn't stinking hot outside then it is stinking hot indoors and especially public transit (which I flipping hate with a vengence).
As such my suiting ranges almost exclusively from feather weight tropicals(5 oz) upto a maximum of heavy weight summer or 4 season (8 oz). The only exception to this rule are suitings I literally fall in love with such as heavier wieght cashmeres or very high super wools which only get worn in what others would call brutally cold weather.
It's also important to wear a summer weight shirt as well all year round. And an under shirt is completely totally out of the question. In mid summer I can't even wear a jacket. The jacket comes on in early fall. In late fall it's jacket and a vest (when 3 piece suit) or jacket and a light trench coat with which you can go upto freezing weather or rain. Below freezing it's just the jacket and a thinnish overcoat such as cashmere which is still very warm. Basically everything is light weight and comes off easily in transit. For instance on the bus I am down to my shirt with rolled up sleeves and same for office.
Some of the suitings I hear folk talk about such as 11 oz is totally insane unless you were born in saharan Africa and now find yourself in Siberia. Hell even my african born friend finds most native northerners complete wimps.

I'm African born. NYC Transit is a particular issue because it isn't really climate controlled. It is just hot. Always hot.

But I agree that it is insane how warm so many offices are. I've loved the odd invention of "sweater tuesdays" so that people actually turn the damn heating off.

Ironically where I am originally from there isn't really heating or A/C. You are pretty cold in the winter and warm in the summer. That just translates to heavier fabrics in the winter and shorts in the summer which I can only imagine is where the idea of various fabric weights originally came from.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My office is an icebox and I have to go outside to warm up on warm days. I dealt with the miserable conditions in the subway by wearing shorts and light shirts on the commute then changing into a pair of jeans I left in my office. If I had to wear a suit to work I would have driven in every day. I can't stand being hot, especially in tailored clothing.

MasterplayerC

Reaction score
So it sounds like we're all in the same boat. I did the shorts-on-the-commute-change-in-the-office thing last summer.

This definitely narrows my focus regarding future trouser/shirt/suiting purchases: summer-weight everything and layer when necessary. Prevents closet space from ever being an issue I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads