• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric required for a short sleeve shirt

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a bunch of seersucker and linen/linen blend cloth for my male relatives in India who would certainly appreciate it in the 115 degree heat. Most of them wear short sleeved shirts in the summer (tailoring is easily accessible and cheap). Can anyone give me an estimate of the cloth required? The widths that I see in fabric shops here are 45'', 55'', and 60''.

Thanks a lot!

bertie

Reaction score
Are you asking how much fabric is required to make a short sleeved shirt? A long sleeved shirt for an average person requires about 2 metres of 60 inch so that would be a safe amount. More is required for narrower width fabric. Perhaps someone else can comment on how much less (if any) is required for a short sleeved shirt. Also - if you search the forum you will likely find what you need.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I did search the forum before posting a new topic but couldn't find anything.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, I really appreciate it. The problem is that most searches on google and clothing forums relate almost exclusively to long sleeved shirts (with good reason too!) while I'm more interested in short sleeve shirts.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for a normal sized person

60" 1.5 yards
45" 2.25 yards
why o you want to buy that sort of fabric in the USA?

i have bought those qualities from several mill in India.
I have the same qualities in stock from Italy.
and they a a little better then the India quality
and much better then the Chinese qualities.

where are you looking to purchase?

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply, Shirtmaven. Well, I'm looking to buy in the US because the small town where I come from doesn't have any stores where I could buy these fabrics. All I could see the last time I visited was cotton-polyester garbage. I'm sure in bigger cities like Delhi or Mumbai I may have more of a choice but not in my town. It's a somewhat long term project for now (going to visit again next summer) and this one year should give me some time to look around here. I first wanted to figure out how much to buy before doing some research on where to buy. Completely clueless at this point.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely they can buy this in India?

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is so helpful, thanks! I go to LA quite often and will check the stores out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads