Fabric Recomendations - Navy Flannel Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rrothsch, Nov 8, 2012.

1. rrothsch

rrothsch Well-Known Member

I am going to order a Navy Flannel suit from WW Chan and I'm looking for a few fabric recommendations. I'd like to spend in the $1,500-$2,000 range and probably 11-13 oz. The intent is to wear in the winter, I like a lot of texture, and prefer a somewhat of a solid. Thus, no pinstripes or checks. In the past I have always bought Holland and Sherry and been very happy so if anyone has any recommendations from a Holland and Sherry book or I'm open to different books as well from other mills.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Guessing this is your first custom flannel suit. If so (and probably even if not) I'd recommend Minnis. As hard wearing as flannel can be and all-around nice cloth.

Also have a look at Harrisons - also nice stuff, perhaps a shade more delicate but more expensive.

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Dugdale do a good 390g flannel cloth ( I have a suit made in a charcoal shade) and would be cheaper then H&S and Minnis. I find 13oz flannel too light for a winter suit (especially a two-piece), more of an early autumn suit unless you get a waistcoat made too.

What do you need/want the suit for?

4. rrothsch

rrothsch Well-Known Member

I wear a suit everyday to work which is what I will buying this suit for.

5. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Pure wool/cashmere would be good for winter.

6. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I have a blue flannel suit in a medium weight flannel by Scabal which I am happy with.

7. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Fox Brothers will send you swatches, see here. I have a suit in their gray glen check and I like it a lot. It's supposed to be not as hard wearing as Minnis but I haven't noticed any wear issues.

Minnis will also send you swatches, see here. No experience with them.

Harrisons also makes nice stuff and I will probably go with them next time, partly because my tailor has the book so I can look through it in person.

There really is no best, equally knowledgeable and experienced people will have different favorites. I would first zero in on what weight you want, decide if you want worsted or woolen, and then compare the navies in that weight from the usual suspects - Minnis, Fox, Harrison, H&S, LGB, etc.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Since it sounds like this will see a lot of wear, I'd skip Fox. And cashmere blends.

No experience w/ Scabal flannel. Don't think I've even seen the swatchbook but I imagine it's expensive.

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

May I ask what range is it under? I am very interested and never knew TF does flannel....

10. mactire

mactire Senior member

If its a regular work suit I recommend you get the heaviest cloth you can find, J&J Minnis do four cloths in a 480g and Fox Brothers have a FS405 range. Maybe Harrisons have a 17oz flannel, not sure.