• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric question

Brian SD

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of fabric here: I apologize in advance for a poor description. It is a thick, very soft fabric, that by looking at it almost looks as though its linen... It's thick, like I said, but appears pretty loosely stiched, and tends to have cross-hash looking areas. Jil Sander, Costume National, Helmut Lang, and Prada are all making shirts with this kind of fabric, and I was hoping to add Jantzen to this list for myself.
biggrin.gif
When I went to Ricky's website I found End on End cotton which looked relatively close to what I want, but I cannot feel it in person so I cannot tell. Anyone have any experience that they can share with me?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brian

You are doing a terrible job of describing this fabric. I doubt that you want an end on end. That is smoth like a broadcloth.

There are cotton shirts with linen weaves.

If you can scan something then I could give you a better answer.

Carl

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Brian,

A photo, or at least a better description, would be better. For example "thickiness" is a very poor descriptor. Is the material highly slubbed? Does the material feel smooth or is it textured? How would you describe the texture? I had to base my suggestion what I know about recent S/S collections of the desginers you listed. Carl is the expert, but I really think that your answer would be either ramie or linen/cotton

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Here's a 600-dpi scan of a Giro Inglese fabric:
giro_inglese.jpg
The portion you see is roughly 3/4" by 3/4". Â At first glance one might think the fabric to be oxford, but it is very loosely woven and does have some of the "see-through" quality of voile. Â This fabric is not "slubby" when viewed in person. I scanned at 600 dpi since I wanted for you to be able to see the up-close detail of the pattern. Â BTW this is woven from 100% cotton, 120/2 in the warp and 50/1 in the weft. Â Because of the especially loose weave it must be a challenge to sew together a shirt from this material.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I apologize for the horrible description. I am having a really hard time finding a picture of a shirt with this kind of fabric. I just saw shirts by all of those designers at Maxfield Los Angeles yesterday, it looks great. It's much softer to the touch than it appears... LA Guy, you probably have it right, since you are familiar with the collections I mentioned.

I'll keep looking for a picture, but I am having no luck. Anyone know any online retailers who might sell Prada (including Jil Sander and helmut Lang) wear?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you saw something at Maxfield LA you like, they'll deliver. Even the outlet store (a real lifesaver) will deliver, but they only take money orders (they've had problems with credit card orders and fraud, apparently).

Brian SD

Reaction score
If you saw something at Maxfield LA you like, they'll deliver.  Even the outlet store (a real lifesaver) will deliver, but they only take money orders (they've had problems with credit card orders and fraud, apparently).
Where is their outlet store? I wasn't aware they even had one, and now my day has just been made.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ 29 Aug. 2004, 5:10) If you saw something at Maxfield LA you like, they'll deliver. Â Even the outlet store (a real lifesaver) will deliver, but they only take money orders (they've had problems with credit card orders and fraud, apparently).
Where is their outlet store? I wasn't aware they even had one, and now my day has just been made.
On Robertson, just south of Beverly. Called Maxfield Bleu I believe.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ahhhh... so that's what Maxfield Bleu is. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads