• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric question: Merino wool shirting advice

WhyCheat

Reaction score
Anyone tried this before? My tailor advised me to give it a try but it's quite more costly, any users comments will be appreciated, thanks.

WhyCheat

Reaction score
the tailor was wearing it himself and it just looks different from cotton shirting (the sheen, the drape etc) Not sure if I am convinced to pay more for that and would like to check this out

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wools cost much more than most cotton shirtings.

Light weight gabardines make a nice shirt too.

Have a few very light weight wools in plaids and checks I'll use for shirts for myself.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To keep the cost down I bought these wools from a jobber like Tip Top in Brooklyn.
Paying full price on wools from sample books would be much higher.

Another thing to consider is this will need to be dry cleaned and not washed or laundered.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Proper Cloth makes merino wool shirts from a fabric they source from Reda in Italy. I haven't tried them, but I've bought pique cotton polos and woven cotton shirts from them in the past, which I like. I think the Reda shirts online look interesting (disclosure, they do business with a company I work for, but I also think they make nice shirts). If price is an issue, Proper Cloth is typically cheaper than bespoke

Viyella also makes 80/20 cotton-wool blend shirts that you can wet wash. If you're going custom, I'm not sure where you can source the fabric, but a few American trad companies using that fabric for RTW. When I handled the fabric in a store, it just felt like a soft flannel to me.

bhammond

Reaction score
I have a Proper Cloth shirt in the Reda merino wool. Reads as a very medium grey with some variation to give it some interest up close. Wears very well with minimal fuss; it’s been a good travel shirt for me. It does not seem very ‘wool like’. It’s reasonably thin and breathable. I had no issues wearing under a suit in a Bay Area summer (coldest winter mumble mumble). Wish they had more/different colors though I’m sure I’ll pick up another grey variation from them soon.

emptym

Reaction score
PC seems to indicate that their wool shirts can be washed, at least this one:

Smooth and comfortable, this 100% merino wool fabric features astonishing natural performance and, like our woven merino wools, it’s resilient, odor resistant, and an amazing temperature regulator. It’s also super easy to care for, can be worn multiple times between washes.

Edit, and the general info page says it more clearly:

The wool shirts of the past were traditionally made with coarse fibers that required dry cleaning. Ours are made from super fine fibers that are finished to be fully machine washable, so whether you have your shirts pressed at the cleaner or prefer to wash them yourself at home, caring for our merino wool shirts is a breeze.

I'm guessing the same Reda fabric is available to other makers.

Last edited:

WhyCheat

Reaction score
To keep the cost down I bought these wools from a jobber like Tip Top in Brooklyn.
Paying full price on wools from sample books would be much higher.

Another thing to consider is this will need to be dry cleaned and not washed or laundered.

thanks! the book I saw was a flashy orange one, according to the tailor this is somewhat new and can be machine washed (which made a big difference) since I need my shirts washed on a daily basis...especially during these days

WhyCheat

Reaction score
Proper Cloth makes merino wool shirts from a fabric they source from Reda in Italy. I haven't tried them, but I've bought pique cotton polos and woven cotton shirts from them in the past, which I like. I think the Reda shirts online look interesting (disclosure, they do business with a company I work for, but I also think they make nice shirts). If price is an issue, Proper Cloth is typically cheaper than bespoke

Viyella also makes 80/20 cotton-wool blend shirts that you can wet wash. If you're going custom, I'm not sure where you can source the fabric, but a few American trad companies using that fabric for RTW. When I handled the fabric in a store, it just felt like a soft flannel to me.

Just looked up the website, I think that's the fabric I saw here, just that it's under an orange book in this tailor shop. I will look up more information and see if I will give it a shot, thanks!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the thought of a wool shirt makes me shudder.

WhyCheat

Reaction score
I have a Proper Cloth shirt in the Reda merino wool. Reads as a very medium grey with some variation to give it some interest up close. Wears very well with minimal fuss; it’s been a good travel shirt for me. It does not seem very ‘wool like’. It’s reasonably thin and breathable. I had no issues wearing under a suit in a Bay Area summer (coldest winter mumble mumble). Wish they had more/different colors though I’m sure I’ll pick up another grey variation from them soon.

I kind of like the solid colors too as they have a nice wool sheen on them and remains a good form (unlike some of my cotton shirts) great to know that you tried it out and it makes a good shirt! Thanks so much for the input, guess I might give it a try with the solid green or maroon when I head back later next week

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads