• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric for ascot picked out, how to match with outfit

Alicanto

Reaction score
I picked out a fabric that will be made into an ascot. I just am not sure as to what shirt I would wear it with it. This will be my first ascot and I am definitely an amateur in fashion style. Any suggestions? I'll be wearing it to some upscale restaurants.

liberty art fabric id110880.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an ascot enthusiast, I would have to say that the color scheme looks rather feminine...that it would be better as a woman's scarf. (No offense intended, seriously.) About the only shirt that I personally would consider pairing with an ascot made from that fabric would be a white one. Just my $.02.

Alicanto

Reaction score
As an ascot enthusiast, I would have to say that the color scheme looks rather feminine...that it would be better as a woman's scarf. (No offense intended, seriously.) About the only shirt that I personally would consider pairing with an ascot made from that fabric would be a white one. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the reply. A couple friends suggested either dark blue or light blue too. What do you think? I can try it on with a few different shirt colors when I receive it but I want to get a preliminary idea first (rather than the whole spectrum of colors). I don't take any offense. It's fabric from Liberty of London and they mainly do cater to women lol. But I like the pattern!

Alexis@theArmoury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. A couple friends suggested either dark blue or light blue too. What do you think? I can try it on with a few different shirt colors when I receive it but I want to get a preliminary idea first (rather than the whole spectrum of colors). I don't take any offense. It's fabric from Liberty of London and they mainly do cater to women lol. But I like the pattern!

Take it for what it's worth (this is a woman giving advice) but I agree with your friends. I would do a light blue chambray-style shirt or a dark blue color - white might be too harsh for this color scheme.

Alicanto

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had the ascot made and I like it, as well as received compliments on it. I'm satisfied

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks quite a bit better than I would have predicted, I'll have to admit. I hope it gives you pleasure and good service.

Alicanto

Reaction score
21078483_10214766146411193_8466041964174338576_n.jpg joe bar65 rockefeller.jpg
Looks quite a bit better than I would have predicted, I'll have to admit. I hope it gives you pleasure and good service.

Thanks, it most certainly did. I wore it for a trip to NY and used it to meet someone I know as well as go to some landmarks and restaurants. I received many compliments for it, and only two negative remarks.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
I wish I had the stones to buy this one. (Of course, I wouldn't wear them together)
serveimage

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Why would you need "stones" to buy that ascot? It's a nice classic, conservative style--nothing louche about it. If I didn't have so many ascots already, I'd probably want to buy it myself.

Alicanto

Reaction score
I would be too, but I didn't want to ask.

One of my female friends said it's ugly, looks snobby, and something only rich guys would wear, and that I couldn't pull it off. And another female friend said she only prefers neckties, and didn't like the look of an ascot.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
One of my female friends said it's ugly, looks snobby, and something only rich guys would wear, and that I couldn't pull it off. And another female friend said she only prefers neckties, and didn't like the look of an ascot.

Mayhap you should look around for new female friends. :)

toplel

Reaction score
No offense but I think they were being honest with you.

I count on the rest of you to be honest also, if I post a pic of myself wearing something that doesn't look good.

Alicanto

Reaction score
No offense but I think they were being honest with you.

I count on the rest of you to be honest also, if I post a pic of myself wearing something that doesn't look good.

Lol and they were honestly negative opinions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads