Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fabric dying

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Apr 13, 2004.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Distinguished Member

I have this off black knit shirt that I want to dye black. Has anyone ever tried anything like this before?

2. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I was just about to ask this question. I have an Armani Borgonuovo dress shirt that started out black but faded to a really dark navy, and has also a bit of a matte finish. Is there any way to re-dye it? Would it give it the original look back?

I'd imagine if it's possible, you could use Rit dye, available at any grocery store or Kmart/Target/Wal Mart. I think I'll give it a shot on a cheap shirt first.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I tried re-dying a pair of black "SWAT Team" pants that had gotten dryer-faded in places. (Always turn black stuff inside out before throwing it in the dryer.) I used Rit in a huge pot on my stove. It worked okay, but I think I didn't use enough dye. The main problem with doing this is that you have to set the dye and then wash the item a zillion times before it stops bleeding. At least in my case that was true. I would suggest looking into the better commercial dyes that are not available at the drugstore. You can get them online and I have a feeling they will do a better job. The downside is they are more dangerous or harder to work with, etc.

If you want to dye something black, look it up on Yahoo or whatever. I found a page for goths devoted to how to dye stuff black and it had good tips for all kinds of fabric.

4. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

I once had a near-dying experience in which I wanted to dye some white cotton handkerchiefs light blue. But I didn't.

I've dyed a grosgrain (cotton, I think, maybe silk) ribbon black without a problem. But then I don't wash it, so....