• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F1 Brazilian GP today (spoiler!)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, what happened to Timo Glock that he all the sudden pulled out? He just happened to give Hamilton the championship by doing that.

And, why the hell did McLaren choose to change Hamilton's tires at the end? Leave him on the dry tires (and not pitting) and he would have been in, what, like 3rd place, meaning even with a reduction in traction he could have easily held his own for the championship? I yelled myself hoarse.

****** ending.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Okay, what happened to Timo Glock that he all the sudden pulled out? He just happened to give Hamilton the championship by doing that.

And, why the hell did McLaren choose to change Hamilton's tires at the end? Leave him on the dry tires (and not pitting) and he would have been in, what, like 3rd place, meaning even with a reduction in traction he could have easily held his own for the championship? I yelled myself hoarse.

****** ending.

I believe what happened to Glock is what would have happened to Hamilton had they not brought him in to get inters. The commentators were saying the rain was much heavier up on the front straight/pit area, which is around the final turn area where Glock's dry tires seemed to have gave up.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aha...now I understand. If Glock was still on dry tires, that explains it.

Gherkins

Reaction score
I am rooting for McLaren since 1974, so this is a happy day for me. But boy - that was intense! Guess I've grown more than a handful grey hairs within the last two laps of that race!

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
aha...now I understand. If Glock was still on dry tires, that explains it.
Yeah, in fact, on the still dry portions of the track, he was doing quite well. It was a gamble for them to not bring him in for inters.
"I was on dry tyres at the end of the race when it was raining quite badly and it was just impossible on the last lap," he reported afterwards. "I was fighting as hard as I could but it was so difficult to just keep the car on the track and I lost positions right at the end of the lap."

Brutus

Reaction score
That was crazy-intense! The last corner of the last lap of the last race determines the championship. Hol-y crap! I've heard rumors that Glock threw the last lap because he's driving for McLaren next year...a bit of a stretch I know.

All I really know right now is that next year looks very promising. I hope BMW, Red Bull (whichever team ends up with Vettel), and Renaut can keep it up at the start of next season.

hannibal06

Reaction score
As little as I am a "fan" of the Formula 1, it still interests me to read about it, so I really hope they bury the plans for all the teams to work with the same engine.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Incredible race and doubly incredible ending. I felt so sorry for Felipe.

At first we were confused about why Glock slowed down so much, but apparently he was losing 17 seconds a lap on the dry tires. Anyway they were smart to take that risk because he may have not gotten points if he pitted like the others.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not aware of the magnitude of driving on dry tires when it's wet, but I'm still convinced Hamilton could have gained advantage and held out for his own champsionship win if they hadn't brought him in for inters.

As to next year, wow. There have emerged some great drivers. Now if they can get competitive rides too, the season will be phenomenal.

b

505t

Reaction score
Given the gap to Massa, Hamilton would have had little if any advantage by staying out. His tyres were already short and on their graining period, so the dries were bad all around at that point.

I'll tell you one thing though. Being African, and having endured years of race snobbery in motorsports, and having to stomach people explaining why people of Asian and African descent "simply do not have the mental make up to be good racers" (whatever that means), today was a selfish triumph...but a triumph nonetheless.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Maybe I'm just not aware of the magnitude of driving on dry tires when it's wet, but I'm still convinced Hamilton could have gained advantage and held out for his own champsionship win if they hadn't brought him in for inters.

As to next year, wow. There have emerged some great drivers. Now if they can get competitive rides too, the season will be phenomenal.

b

Dry tires in the wet is like driving on ice with over-inflated, rock hard tires. The compound of the dry tires will provide optimum grip at higher temperatures, so when they're cooled by water, they lose grip. Also, not being grooved like the inters, there's a greater chance of hydroplaning all over the track. In Spa, a few drivers swapped to inters on the last lap, a gamble which paid off as many of them ended up shooting up 4-6 places, despite the pit stop.

I'm hoping that with a return to slicks and less aero next year, we'll see more battles with the Ferrari and McLaren boys involving Vettel and Kubica.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 505t
I'll tell you one thing though. Being African, and having endured years of race snobbery in motorsports, and having to stomach people explaining why people of Asian and African descent "simply do not have the mental make up to be good racers" (whatever that means), today was a selfish triumph...but a triumph nonetheless.
Please.
rolleyes.gif
I'd bet that has nothing to do with "mental make up" and more to do with the same reason there aren't any freakin' amazing "African" hockey players. Besides, Lewis is only half-African. Anyways, about the race/season, I thought it was quite fitting for it to end with a few laps of sudden rain because the rain had played such a huge part several times this year. All those racing series that don't race in the rain are really missing out on some amazing fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads