• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F/W 07 Menswear Shows

Max

Reaction score
Just checking them out on men.style.com.

Gucci is ******* weird. Quilted knees are stolen from Thom Browne. Furry raver boots are stolen from 1997.

Alexander McQueen... wtf?

Holy ****, D&G is actually super awesome.

Jil Sander is still boring after all these years.

Overall trends:

-Get ready to see more pointy shoes.
-Super tight fitting is about to be over.
-Huge parkas are seeing a resurgence.
-Knitwear is ridiculous.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked this jacket from Gucci:
00210m.jpg
And isn't this coat genius? Perfect with a Brooks Brothers grey suit and some conservative shoes, and a jewelled tie-pin.
00430m.jpg
As for the others you've mentioned, I've never seen anything from D&G--or DSquared for that matter--I've liked.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This is one of the worst seasons I've seen in a while. Lots of puffy metallics left a bad impression in my head. Very few pieces seem wearable in real life, although from a design/couture perspective, I suppose there were quite a few new ideas. I just don't think "new" necessarily means "better" tho.

Personally, I'm glad the skinny/fitted looks is "over" so that those of *us* who are not into that cut as a trend, but a personal stylistic choice that endures season after season, can reclaim some exclusivity over it.
boxing[1].gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sam_tem

Reaction score
if you live in a city with a pop. fewer than 5 million the skinny look never was "in"

modsquad

Reaction score
The Bottega Venata collection is terrific, and totally wearable.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorites so far are: Valentino and Bottega Veneta. If I were to make a clothing investment for Fall 07/08, that's where my money is going. The Burburry Prosum trenchcoats are also worth mentioning.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
i been to the shows lately and my favorites as far as f/w 07 are:
1. gucci-their collection looks very good and the pieces are quite different compared to their previous collections. i'm currently waiting to buy at least one piece from this look(maybe the sweater or the suit)
00100m.jpg

2. etro-their collection is good,lots of patterned sweaters and scarves, suits are cut slim but quite colorful for me. i'm liking this sweater jacket and the whole look.
00110m.jpg

3. fendi-although they have a mediocre and unwearable collection, i'm liking this peacoat in particular, their best piece in the entire collection
00410m.jpg

Tiranis

Reaction score
I have to agree on Gucci, very wearable collection—a lot of nice sweaters and jackets. Costume National, Dolce, and Burberry have some interesting pieces, but overall I'm not too impressed. Very disappointed with Jil Sander.
frown.gif
D&G and Dsquared have officialy crossed over from 'crap' to 'complete trash'.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
I have to agree on Gucci, very wearable collection—a lot of nice sweaters and jackets.

Costume National, Dolce, and Burberry have some interesting pieces, but overall I'm not too impressed.

Very disappointed with Jil Sander.
frown.gif

D&G and Dsquared have officialy crossed over from 'crap' to 'complete trash'.

Jil Sander has always been very austere. This collection is since Raf Simons has been designing and definitely has his signatures in it. That said, I dont think its a bad collection. Jil Sander gear has always really shown its appeal in motion / in person. The fabrics are generally the strongest point.

As a collection I really liked some of the simple black/white pieces. However none of it, unfortunately is something I'd pay out the ass for, as I don't find much of it something I'd wear. I did like a couple of the sweaters though.

The whole collection has a very minimalist appeal, particularly reminding me of Frank Stella.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked Marni, except for the knit leggings.

jookz

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the J. Lindeberg show, as I felt it was the most solid overall. The wide trousers and relatively slim tops were pulled off very well, in my opinion.

I must agree with Get Smart, though, that in general this season was pretty weak. The abundance of the metallics also threw me off, as I found them to be obnoxious and flashy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jookz
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the J. Lindeberg show, as I felt it was the most solid overall. The wide trousers and relatively slim tops were pulled off very well, in my opinion.

Have I not been talking about this silhouette for years now? Just a wanted to have it on the record.

Max

Reaction score
Yeah, but that silhouette is really nothing new. Dior did oxford bags with their ultra fitted jackets a couple years ago, then promptly reverted to skinny jeans.

jookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Have I not been talking about this silhouette for years now? Just a wanted to have it on the record.

Like Max said, the silhouette isn't particularly new, but I think that the show pulled it off really well. I'm rather partial to it myself, since I have a naturally high waist, and the slim tops really fit my asthetic.

I liked virtually every aspect of the show: the knits, outerwear, and the layering in general were all very solid.

I love the jacket in this look:
00060m.jpg

This was my favorite look overall:
00190m.jpg

The layering in this is outstanding, the way each piece is progressively longer than the next:
00240m.jpg

Again, I love the jacket in this one, especially with the white cuffs peeking out:
00250m.jpg

I thought the show transcended gimmicky metallic trend of the season, opting for a more subdued palette of simple shades of grey and a few earth tones. The pieces look great together, and will probably look great singled out, as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads