• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F*** menswearhouse

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
Alright sup guys. this is my first post here and i hate to make it a rant but i need some advice as well.

A couple months ago I went to mens wearhouse to get a suit for a job interview. I feel now that it was a big mistake. It was the first suit i ever bought and now when i wear it i feel like some shlub car salesman. its all baggy and not modern euro style as you see in the magazines like GQ etc, which is actually the look i wanted but im sure those suits cost thousands.

Anyway i spent like 300 bucks for this crappy suit and i dont want it anymore. Any suggestions as to how i can get rid of it and maybe get some cash out of the deal?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smooth Genes
Alright sup guys. this is my first post here and
tounge.gif

A couple months ago I went to mens wearhouse to get a suit for a job interview. I feel now that it was a big mistake. It was the first suit i ever bought and now when i wear it i feel like some shlub car salesman. its all baggy and not modern euro style as you see in the magazines like GQ etc, which is actually the look i wanted but im sure those suits cost thousands.

Anyway i spent like 300 bucks for this crappy suit and i dont want it anymore. Any suggestions as to how i can get rid of it and maybe get some cash out of the deal?

Use it to start a fire. Not even Ebay buyers want MW
tounge.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You had to try it on before buying it... you could go to a tailor and make it fit as you like, it will cost you some $$$

topbroker

Reaction score
If you want to cultivate a more professional image, I'd suggest not using profanities in your subject lines. That's a way bigger problem than your suit! (Which I'm sure can be altered slightly to look just fine, as could in fact have been managed in the first place. I assure you that no one in the business world expects your "first suit" to look like a Brioni.)

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
If you want to cultivate a more professional image, I'd suggest not using profanities in your subject lines. That's a way bigger problem than your suit! (Which I'm sure can be altered slightly to look just fine, as could in fact have been managed in the first place. I assure you that no one in the business world expects your "first suit" to look like a Brioni.)

I further assure you that most people in the business world do not have a clue what a Brioni looks like. If the suit fits reasonable well and is clean, you are 95% of the way there as far as that goes. Visit a tailor and chalk it to experience.

I also agree that the ******* language has got to go.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kudos that you have come to this conclusion. Many don't

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you are among the cognoscenti of men's style, please let that sartorial nightmare fade gently into nothingness. Reading the forums should spare you the trauma of ever again touching poly-blend. From now on its cashmere, sea island cotton, 150s wool, kid leather, bench-grade shoes, etc that will grace your person.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Now that you are among the cognoscenti of men's style, please let that sartorial nightmare fade gently into nothingness. Reading the forums should spare you the trauma of ever again touching poly-blend. From now on its cashmere, sea island cotton, 150s wool, kid leather, bench-grade shoes, etc that will grace your person.

--- Man, that pretty much hits the nail on the head. You'll never go back that's for sure.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Use it to start a fire. Not even Ebay buyers want MW
tounge.gif

Funny, but true. I dont recall seeing many if any MW suits on Ebay!

I believe Men's Wearhouse started in my hometown of Houston, Tx. So we are graced with an inordinate amount of their TV ads featuring their founder, George Zimmer. He's kind of smarmy(don't ask me to define the word, but I think you know what I mean). But his ads are effective, and the company seems to expand and sell more suits each year. So, apparently he has a business plan that works. Many more people shop at Walmart than Wilkes Bashford or Louis, Boston. And obviously, more people buy MW suits than Brioni! And I think we all know why.

As has been said, chalk your MW purchase up to experience, and one day you look back and laugh that you bought an MW suit! By the way did you get the job? If you did then the MW suit served it's purpose.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think most everyone here will have a "pre-enlightenment" or "pre-SF" horror story to share. There have been many threads. Count yourself lucky you only wasted this much money and not much, much more.

Welcome.

And please no swearing in topic titles.
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think most everyone here will have a "pre-enlightenment" or "pre-SF" horror story to share. There have been many threads. Count yourself lucky you only wasted this much money and not much, much more.

Welcome.

And please no swearing in topic titles.
smile.gif

Oh the horrors I can tell
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the ease of buying a cheap suit at a retail store, then I'd suggest H&M, Zara, Express or Banana Repbulic (on sale) for the type of suit you want. A taylor will still have to alter it, as the latter two are pretty much wannabe-Euro-style-for-the-American-fatass suits, but, with their overall cuts and use of flat-front pants and narrower shoulders, it can easily be made to fit. If you like hunting a bit, stores like Off-5th, Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, Filene's Basement and Barney's Outlet can yield some amazing deals on really nice suits. And, as well, I can almost guarantee some advice you need is to get better shoes. Somehow, MW suits always seemed to be finished off by crappy shoes. But, the good news is you are here now, so sit back, relax, learn, and emerge a well-dressed gentleman. Oh, and drop the f-bomb to your heart's content, just because you want to look classy doesn't mean you have to act it, lol. If that were true, I might as well clothe myself at Sears
laugh.gif

Avers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smooth Genes
Alright sup guys. this is my first post here and i hate to make it a rant but i need some advice as well.

Any chance you can take the suit back to MW? It's been only couple of months...

William

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the same sentiment about my first suit, an Armani Collezioni :p

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Funny, but true. I dont recall seeing many if any MW suits on Ebay! I believe Men's Wearhouse started in my hometown of Houston, Tx. So we are graced with an inordinate amount of their TV ads featuring their founder, George Zimmer. He's kind of smarmy(don't ask me to define the word, but I think you know what I mean). But his ads are effective, and the company seems to expand and sell more suits each year. So, apparently he has a business plan that works. Many more people shop at Walmart than Wilkes Bashford or Louis, Boston. And obviously, more people buy MW suits than Brioni! And I think we all know why. As has been said, chalk your MW purchase up to experience, and one day you look back and laugh that you bought an MW suit! By the way did you get the job? If you did then the MW suit served it's purpose.
I have played a good bit of golf with George, and he is actually a really nice guy. I have no opinion on the clothing as I have never been in a Men's Wearhouse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads