F*** menswearhouse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Smooth Genes, Aug 9, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You're not alone in this mistake. I needed a first suit for a job interview and went to MW as well. Bought their "best" quality suit and left it with them for alterations.

Right afterward my wife dragged me to Nordstrom's to look at women's stuff. Wandering around bored, I stumbled into the men's suit area and totally by chance slipped on a Canali. Oooh damn! Exactly like the day I drove my Civic to the BMW dealer and took a test drive.

I immediately took out the MW claim stub to get their phone number, called on my cell and cancelled the sale/alterations. Luckily they did not have time to start the alterations.

Wearing the Canali, I absolutely strutted into the interview just knowing I looked as good as was possible (got the job).

Now my only regret is that I paid full retail for the Canali.

Never drive your BMW to another dealer and take a test drive. If yours is like mine, it will take offense and attempt suicide by catastrophic water pump failure.

2. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

thanks for the replies fellas.

My mind is now eased at the purchase. i think ill try to sell it to someone anyway even if its for 20 bucks! Or ill give it to a bum on the street tell his ass to get a job.

And NO i did not get the job, infact i did not even get an interview. Well my initial plan was to march in there (its at a bank) and demand to see the head honcho and get an interview on the spot to get hired.

however that plan failed because i did not feel smooth in this suit therefore it never developed further...well actually i did go but the person was on vacation and my shoes were killing (also mw) so i actually ended up returning those and said F the suit.

So here I am. my next "first" suit is going to be on the high class designer tip.
    If you've checked the thread about the guy showing pics of suits he got from hongkong then you know what i am looking for.

You're chalking up not getting the job because you didn't feel comfortable in the suit? Umm...you might want delve a little deeper into your approach first.

A.

3. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

My mind is now eased at the purchase. i think ill try to sell it to someone anyway even if its for 20 bucks! Or ill give it to a bum on the street tell his ass to get a job.

And NO i did not get the job, infact i did not even get an interview. Well my initial plan was to march in there (its at a bank) and demand to see the head honcho and get an interview on the spot to get hired.

however that plan failed because i did not feel smooth in this suit therefore it never developed further...well actually i did go but the person was on vacation and my shoes were killing (also mw) so i actually ended up returning those and said F the suit.

So here I am. my next "first" suit is going to be on the high class designer tip.
    If you've checked the thread about the guy showing pics of suits he got from hongkong then you know what i am looking for.

Gee, I can't imagine why you would have such a hard time finding a job.[​IMG]

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Now you're learning. Had you marched into that bank in a Brioni suit, and demanded to see the head honcho, he would have seen you and given you the job!

So chalk this up to experience, and do it differently the next time.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

I have played a good bit of golf with George, and he is actually a really nice guy.

I have no opinion on the clothing as I have never been in a Men's Wearhouse.

--- You have an opinion. You think it sucks, I guarantee it![​IMG]

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

I kind of like the thread title. It seems like it's something that SFers would say at about 2 a.m., sitting at the bar piss drunk. "F*** MensWearhouse!" "Yeah, f*** 'em!"

--- Now that's some funny s*#$![​IMG]

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

--- You have an opinion. You think it sucks, I guarantee it![​IMG]
    I guess you are feeling better.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

I guess you are feeling better.

---- Finally. I thought my new nickname was going to be Ebola. [​IMG]
    Any pics/arrival of the Rubinacci? I assume that is entirely 'hand' padded etc.etc.
    Exceptional shoulder work should be quite interesting to see it live (SF photos) so to speak.

9. DGP

DGP Senior member

Never drive your BMW to another dealer and take a test drive. If yours is like mine, it will take offense and attempt suicide by catastrophic water pump failure.

But he didn't, he drove his Civic to the Bimmer shop, not the other way around.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

But he didn't, he drove his Civic to the Bimmer shop, not the other way around.
    I know, but now he has a BM, so he needs to be careful. They are jealous cars.

Edit: unless I misread it. I assumed he meant he took the Civic in and had to buy the BMW after a test drive.

11. TCN

TCN Senior member

You're chalking up not getting the job because you didn't feel comfortable in the suit? Umm...you might want delve a little deeper into your approach first.

A.

Exactly, next time, try yelling at them "do you know who I f-ing am!!!!" as they're throwing you out.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Is that a Stranglers lyric reference? [​IMG]

13. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I am sure the suit could be saved ...
    Certainly bring your suit to tailor. For around $100 ,perhaps less, you can improve the look of your suit dramatically.
    Get a real nice classic pare of shoes. That and a nice starched white shirt will raise the look of your suit.
    I still have "wonderful" Macy's Ungaro suit and I wear jacket from it with jeans . Of course that jacket seen more alterations than Michael's nose.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

I get lets of compliments on my grey, Geoffrey Beene MWH suit. It also has a vest. I'm no fashion expert, but I don't see anything wrong with the MWH suits. They seem to have good suits there to me, for very reasonable prices. It's the aggressive upselling that keeps me from going back there. Sure I got a great deal on a suit, but they were trying to get me to buy 7 or 8 eighty dollar shirts along with it, with tie chains, ties, matching handkerchiefs, jeeze!

I'd have to go along w/ everyone else, just get it tailored if possible. 99.99% of the people out there aren't going to know the difference anyway.

15. Schmiddy

Schmiddy Member

I've been lurking here for several months, so I don't know why I felt the need to make this my first post. But...
    I've learned a lot from this forum. My eye for quality clothing has improved dramatically, I've learned how to choose clothes that I like and find fair deals on them. I have also invested many hours of time to reading books and this forum, and many more in shopping for clothes that I want.
    For those without the time or the finances to to what I did, Men's Warehouse is a very nice solution. It served me well for many years before becoming interested in finer clothing. While nothing there is excellent, a lot of it is acceptable; especially if you're just trying to look professional and aren't aspiring to be a fashion icon. Their sales people are helpful and understand the basics of coordination. My years of wearing Men's Wearhouse clothes never won me any awards, but I never looked like a slob (i.e. like many of my coworkers). I never bought anything overly fashion-y that hasn't stood the test of time.
    I recently spent a week in Prague with an Englishman, a Frenchman, and an Italian- all very nice dressers. After wearing my finest, the only outfit that I wore that garnered compliments? 6-year-old blue Claiborne suit from MWH, white Brooks Brothers no-iron shirt, Altea tie, Cole Haan shoes. Junk clothes by anyone's definition but they fit me well, were well coordinated, and were well cared for.
    Now that I know better, I'm happier with my Barbera suits and Borrelli shirts than the stuff I got at MWH. But there are a lot worse options out there for those who don't plan to make clothing their hobby/obsession.
    I know I've got it coming... let the flames begin.