• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F!@K Cable and Satellite: Options?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the title says. Short of getting it from a neighbor (not an option) I want some sweet HD for my tube. Options?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Like the title says. Short of getting it from a neighbor (not an option) I want some sweet HD for my tube. Options?

Yeah, cable and satellite. You can get the free over the air HD, but the signal has got to suck. I guess it depends on where you live, you ain't watching TV in a big city without cable or sat.

Or just stick to blue ray dvd's and player

jkennett

Reaction score
ITVN might be an option. I looked into it to get Setanta at my home, but ended up not getting it because of the one year contract (I already have Directv). Seems like a good idea, but haven't gotten any first-hand reviews.

"They have also signed deals with NXP semiconductors (founded by Philips) to produce their next generation set top box (STB). This will further expand the user experience by adding HD capabilities as well as time shifting and video telephony. Contacts at ITVN indicated that this should be available sometime in the first quarter of 2007."http://www.int2view.com/content/view/12/48/

Not sure if that has happened or not.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You can get the free over the air HD, but the signal has got to suck.

Perhaps getting a signal in a city like NYC is hard, but once you get the signal, the picture quality is much better than satellite or cable HD.

--Andre

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in SF, I may try over the air HD. I have a few weeks before baseball season starts. What is this Sentna?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I'm in SF, I may try over the air HD. I have a few weeks before baseball season starts. What is this Sentna?
Setanta sports channel... It's just a channel I like to have. The only way to get it in the U.S. that I know of it Directv or ITVN. No baseball on that channel though.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Perhaps getting a signal in a city like NYC is hard, but once you get the signal, the picture quality is much better than satellite or cable HD.

--Andre

There are cities outside of NYC?
confused.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew

--Andre

+100

Only after seeing a true-HD air signal I realized how much US consumer gets fuked by all Cable operators.
The actual signal that I receive from Comcast is not even 480P, un-fuking believable.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
+100

Only after seeing a true-HD air signal I realized how much US consumer gets fuked by all Cable operators.
The actual signal that I receive from Comcast is not even 480P, un-fuking believable.

There's a "˜c' in ****, I just mention in passing.
smile.gif

And um, HD signals are broadcast in 720P or 1080i.
confused.gif

Jon.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
There are cities outside of NYC?
confused.gif

"Alvy, you are totally incapable of enjoying life. You're like New York. You're an island."

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are probably going to have only three choices for "premium" programming, HDTV or otherwise: 1) Your local cable monopoly. 2) Directv 3) Dish Network If you live somewhere with no clear view of southern sky or where you are unable to mount a small satellite dish, would mean you are stuck with cable. If Verizon FIOS TV is available where you live you may wish to consider that also. Directv usually requires a 2-year contract when signing up for programming but does have better customer satisfaction ratings year-over-year than cable or Dish Network. To get the free, over the air high-definition channels may still require an external antenna and you are still limited to local and public television channels. And yes, you can get that in New York. To get more information on Directv and Dish network you are going to have to visit: satelliteguys.us or www.dbsforums.com HDTV forum on AVS Forum is also helpful for Cable and Satellite information.

zshaver

Reaction score
While it's not much of an alternative to satellite, you can get over the air cable programming through an MDS (multipoint directional system). I know at home that it's not an extremely popular option, but there's always the possibility that they set up the idea in your area and offer better pricing. Good luck with the search.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I have a Samsung TV with a built in HD tuner + indoor antenna and I get all 4 networks free, though 2 of them are tempermental (you can block the signal by walking around the room). Are you in a house or apt/condo? Installing an antenna on the roof is best, but indoor antenna may work OK if you have a strong signal. This site is helpful: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Satellite is the best if you live in a place where you can put up an antenna (it requires a southern exposure). I like DirectTV best because you can get the NFL ticket.

If you can't do a southern exposure, or you'll be moving frequently, stick with the evil cable SOB's. That, or put a slingbox at your parents or a friends place.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already have a dish pre installed at my loft. I just don't want to sign a 2 year contract with those F***ers.

That said, can I attach or mount a hd antenna to the DirecTv dish and use the dish's coax into my hd without a box or their service?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads