• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F******* hilditch!

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 30 h&k shirts.

1) 1 is very easy to iron
2) 6 are not difficult to iron
3) 20 are very difficult to iron

Something strange =
1) and 2) are MADE IN GB on tag
3) are all made in "nowhere" (no origin land on tag)

Does it mean only GB shirts are good and others are crap?

Difficult to imagine as :

a) there are no more "made in GB" shirts (origin is no more written) on H&K shirts since several mounths.

b) many of my 20 not "made in GB shirts" (at least not written) have been purchased in winter sales so we can imagine people would have complained to H&K since January and H&K would have fixed the problem

Has anyone H&K shirts purchased in 2004? What about ironing?

P.S I'm talking about ironing of COLLAR, which after having been wet and ironed, let me the choice between :
- small folds everywhere
- 2 big folds on the egde
- waves

HELP.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you ironing both sides of the collar?
I typically iron the backside first, from the direction of the points to the inside.
Then iron the topside, in the same way.
Then fold the collar down, but instead of ironing the entire fold on a flat surface, iron the fold while letting the collar take it's natural round shape.  Hard to explain, but I use the narrow part of the ironing board.  Starting at one end of the collar, let the other end hang off the board so the collar as a whole is taking it's natural round shape.  Then only iron the portion that is on the surface of the ironing board.  You have to do it section by section until you reach the other end.
It's a little time consuming, but that's how I get the best result. I agree, H&K shirts seem the hardest to iron.

Sorry, it's hard to explain, but I hope this helps.

BGW

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this likely a bi-product of an unfused collar?

I personally have never had any problems with fused collars (no bubbling or similar disfigurement) and find them immensely easy to iron.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the collars are not fused, they'll be difficult to iron. Some say that these collars are of a higher quality. I personally don't think so, because I like shirts that are easy to iron.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically iron the backside first, from the direction of the points to the inside.
Then fold the collar down, but instead of ironing the entire fold on a flat surface, iron the fold while letting the collar take it's natural round shape.  Hard to explain, but I use the narrow part of the ironing board.  Starting at one end of the collar, let the other end hang off the board so the collar as a whole is taking it's natural round shape.  Then only iron the portion that is on the surface of the ironing board.  You have to do it section by section until you reach the other end.
It's a little time consuming, but that's how I get the best result.  I agree, H&K shirts seem the hardest to iron.

You are very clear.

I ironed on the back side but quickly because it seemed useless. Why iron on the back? To warm linen?

I had noticed this = with collar buttoned and folded, when I pull on it (to shape it as if it was on a neck) and squeeze it between my fingers (to "iron" with my finger), collar looks better .
So I think your idea to iron it folded, section by section is the solution.

Thanks

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this likely a bi-product of an unfused collar?

I personally have never had any problems with fused collars (no bubbling or similar disfigurement) and find them immensely easy to iron.
yes NOT fused collar

But 1 of my none fused collar is very easy to iron because there is no extra fabircs on it...

A little extra fabrics on collar and it becomes a hell to iron.

I think it must be possible to iron because my shirts looks perfect (no waves or extra fabrics) before I wet them.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the collars are not fused, they'll be difficult to iron. Some say that these collars are of a higher quality. I personally don't think so, because I like shirts that are easy to iron.
These collars have better touch and feeling but I think I will go back to fused if I do not manage to iron better...

If I do not manage, I will bring back my 23 shirts and ask them to show me it is possible to iron or to refund me.

I already brought back a shirt, the lady in charge of ironing managed to iron it with pain but did not use the method of ironing buttoned and folded...

I will kill myself.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a little time consuming, but that's how I get the best result.  I agree, H&K shirts seem the hardest to iron.

Are your shirts from H&K?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Renault78law @ 16 July 2004, 9:01) Are you ironing both sides of the collar? I typically iron the backside first, from the direction of the points to the inside. Then iron the topside, in the same way. Then fold the collar down, but instead of ironing the entire fold on a flat surface, iron the fold while letting the collar take it's natural round shape. Â Hard to explain, but I use the narrow part of the ironing board. Â Starting at one end of the collar, let the other end hang off the board so the collar as a whole is taking it's natural round shape. Â Then only iron the portion that is on the surface of the ironing board. Â You have to do it section by section until you reach the other end. It's a little time consuming, but that's how I get the best result. Â I agree, H&K shirts seem the hardest to iron. Sorry, it's hard to explain, but I hope this helps.
Are your shirts from H&K?
yup

BjornH

Reaction score
Ernest - please don't tear down the altar yet. I have absoloutly no problems ironing my H&K shirts provided I start from the points of the collar. I iron them dry and use the steam setting on my iron.

B

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do not swear in topic titles. In fact, try to refrain from swearing at all. I'd like this board to be suitable for public viewing including families, etc. Next time you will get kicked off. This goes for everyone. Thanks.

jharrison

Reaction score
Thank you J, for keeping the forum decent.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No problem, although your avatar does stretch the bounds of decency.
wink.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not swear in topic titles. In fact, try to refrain from swearing at all. I'd like this board to be suitable for public viewing including families, etc. Next time you will get kicked off. This goes for everyone. Thanks.
kick off? Keep cool.

I do no speak english very good and I tought "****" was an english very common word...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads