• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F*&%#$ Dry Cleaners!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why there would ever be any need to take a shirt to the cleaners unless you're too lazy to iron it yourself. Just throw them in the washing machine on a low temperature, they'll be fine.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegantgentleman
Most of the $.99 or $1.99 per shirt places put shirts on an automatic press which does a terrible job (at least for the average SFer's standards).

I got a shirt back once where there were ironing mistakes all over (I thought they use a dummy or some machine). They even ironed a 45 degree crease mark in my double barrel cuff. How you can actually hand that back to the client I have no idea.

Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Sometimes clothes even come back with burn marks on them from poor pressing practices.

Burn marks - yikes.

I also had a shirt that is normally a nightmare to iron but I needed something for the plane - and asked them to fold it. I swear there were more wrinkles than when I sent it in dirty.

And the best was when I gave a shirt I got from B&S and they chipped a front button on a coloured shirt (turquoise with dark turquoise buttons). They gave me a "free repair" with a button that didn't match any of the other ones. I love my free repairs.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wash mine myself, saves the headache. One of the drycleaners around me does hand pressing but its about $4-5/shirt, which is not cost effective for me when wearing 7 shirts a week.

If I had the cleaners take care of them I would need twice the shirt rotation if not more.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My worry with dry cleaners is that most of them don't seem to understand how to properly press a suit.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
My lapels typically come back very flattened. Sometimes I can fix this by rolling a section of towel under the lapel and gently steaming the mega crease out so it rolls again.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
i literally once told a dry cleaner to her very face twice to take out the collar stays in my $100 shirt... she promptly gave it back to me the next day with massive ironing imprints of collar stays in the fabric. that's the kind of idiocy you're dealing with.

thankfully the lemon + peroxide solution followed by a few machine washings got it out.

idiocy uh? she must be thinking the same thing. you're a big boy, take out the collar stays yourself. with hundreds of customers, she is not going to remember to do something you should have done in the first place.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i literally once told a dry cleaner to her very face twice to take out the collar stays in my $100 shirt... she promptly gave it back to me the next day with massive ironing imprints of collar stays in the fabric. that's the kind of idiocy you're dealing with.

thankfully the lemon + peroxide solution followed by a few machine washings got it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
So two questions:

What do you guys do with your suits? Because you have to dry clean those....

And what about black shirts...cleaning in water makes them fade...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont wear black shirts.

Suits are kept through brushing and steam pressing. Dry cleaning once a season or when needed at one of the better cleaners in town is a good plan.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I dont wear black shirts.

Suits are kept through brushing and steam pressing. Dry cleaning once a season or when needed at one of the better cleaners in town is a good plan.

I agree with you Skinny ...Have you read the article about Huntsman's cleaning service?

It is basically steaming pressing and a lot of hard work...

No chemicals involved...

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
idiocy uh? she must be thinking the same thing. you're a big boy, take out the collar stays yourself. with hundreds of customers, she is not going to remember to do something you should have done in the first place.

They were sewed in dumbass, and she assured me repeatedly they had the tools to get them out, even writing on a piece of paper right next to them 'take out collar stays.' try thinking a little next time you wanna proclaim your intelligence
wink.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have my dress shirts laundered and ironed by hand.

Post #6: I'd remove my own stays if sending out.

Poster #27: Perhaps you should consider buying -- or having shirts made -- with removable stays.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I agree with you Skinny ...Have you read the article about Huntsman's cleaning service?

It is basically steaming pressing and a lot of hard work...

No chemicals involved...

I'll have to check that out.

I need a soft bristle brush for hand washing collars any recommendations?

StopPolloition

Reaction score
They were sewed in dumbass, and she assured me repeatedly they had the tools to get them out, even writing on a piece of paper right next to them 'take out collar stays.' try thinking a little next time you wanna proclaim your intelligence
wink.gif

So was she supposed to cut the collar open, wash, put them back in, then resew them in? I'm lost here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads