• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyewear - Everyday, Sunglasses, Classic & Contemporary

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread where members can post photos and comments about their eyewear - everyday, specialty, sunglasses, contemporary & classic. What are you wearing?

These just arrived today from E.B. Meyrowitz London and are MTM. You can find out more about E.B. Meyrowitz from a blog post on Permanent Style. MTM is nice because it gave me just what I wanted in color, materials, shape, size. They were ordered at a trunk show in San Francisco this Spring. All of my previous glasses have been RTW brands.

DSCF0297.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had about four pairs of clear frames by different makers in slightly different shapes. These have been my favorite pair, made in Japan by SALT. I like best that they aren't perfectly round or too large. These would male great looking sunglasses as well.

IMG_1969.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of sunglasses...I saw these Mascot sunglasses at Dover Street Market in NY. I like this shape frame, the green lens and clear frame. Mascot is an old NYC brand that began in 1915 on the LES. I believe it is still family owned. Best of all they are doing some cool, stylish frames.

IMG_6517.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the look of these glasses but they didn't turn out to be right for me. Unfortunately, didn't realize that until after I purchased them. The color and style were attractive but the frame and lens were just a little too large and the sides too skinny for my face/head. It was an expensive mistake and now I am much more careful and analytical about any frame before I even try a pair on. Buyer beware!

These are made by Morgenthal Frederics, who makes very nice eyewear. It was just the shape and size, that I couldn't make work for me. (Except that the photo got a ton of likes in Instagram)

tumblr_nmm1wbVCuz1r2mxyyo1_1280.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these Oliver Peoples metal frames in a brushed pewter color. They are subtle and work well with casual tailored clothing.

DSCF0492.jpg

I had clip on frames made with Polarized lenses to wear as sunglass

DSCF0495.jpg

I've been very happy with them and it avoids the bulk of carrying both a full pair of sunglasses and regular glasses when traveling

IMG_4624.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunglasses are an interesting subject. I find I need at minimum a "sport" pair and a dress pair although you do see a lot of guys wearing classic aviator sunglasses with just about anything.

I had a pair of original Wayfarers from 1989 to 1999 when I left them for a few minutes on thanks next to the pool in my apartment complex. When I went back to get them they had disappeared and a shifty looking maintenance man claimed to know nothing!

Now I never leave the house without shades and have acquired about 30 pairs which is huge overkill but I get what you mean about matching the formality (or in my case even the colour!) to the rest of your outfit.

Those ones suit your face well Gus!

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks TWD, I enjoy them. I'll post a few more photos tomorrow of other sunglasses that I own. Anyone else feel free to post photos of your favorite eyewear.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever take pictures while wearing sunglasses. Perhaps I should.

After wearing mostly Persols for several years, I recently bought a pair of Warby Parker sunglasses. I'm quite impressed, especially for the price. I find many sunglasses to have too short temple arms for my head. I find I need at least 145mm to fit comfortably. Warby Parker had only a small handful of models that were big enough, but what they had was quite pleasing. I'll take picture and post it.

I also noticed this evening that Oliver Peoples now has a store open in San Jose's Valley Fair mall. I didn't have time to go in and browse, but I will soon. I realize that Peoples is now merely a component of the Luxottica empire, but I think they still have some interesting styles.

Reactions: Gus

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK here’s my Wayfarer box ...

157iqfn.jpg

Traditional 2140s in Royal blue (gradient) brown tortoiseshell (bronze) scarlet red (gradient) and metallic teal (mirror).

New Wayfarer 2132s in Black (G3) and powder blue rubber with customised ice blue mirror lenses which are my ‘beach and pool’ glasses!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aviators look good on just about anyone. Most can pull off dark lenses with a variety of casual for more semi-formal tailored clothing and look "right" IMO.

I have this pair of Revo blue reflector aviator lenses, (however, looking through them, while wearing, the lense is actually a very pleasing grey/green tint that is the most comfortable for me in high light/glare settings). The blue reflector makes these far more casual so I wear them with more casual outfits.

DSCF0500.jpg gus hat.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of MOSCOT brand eyewear (see post #3 for some company details). These are classic styled tortoise acetate with grey/green lenses. I'll grab these to wear with just about anything but especially with a jacket or suit.

DSCF0505 (1).jpg
IMG_7255.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics