• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyeglasses

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found the Cutler Gross selection quite nice. The "Turtle" ones were appealing. They also had ones a la David Hockney.

The Alain Mikli ones I saw were not particulary enticing. But perhaps optical stores could order some.

Gucci's are too thin. And curved as well. I have a pair of McQueens that suffice for now.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Let me recommend Friedrich's, on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and in New York (not sure where).  Large selection of classic frames in a variety of materials, including horn.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any particular reason you aren't thinking about contacts?

I personally have quite a few reasons that I don't wear contacts, but I was curious if you just hadn't thought about it, or if there were medical or personal reasons.

My glasses are $200 Marc Ecko square frames with chrome earpieces, and I'm pretty happy with them. Not really "retro" per-se, but they fit my wide F*ing head, and that was important.

mano

Reaction score
Check out the Silhouette frameless in titanium. Comes in various colors. I got mine on eBay for less than half actual cost. My retailor was impressed at what I paid and they were authentic. He was glad to fill the prescription even though he didn't supply the frames. Lenses for these are expensive as they have to be carefully drilled and ground in a time consuming manner.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me recommend Friedrich's, on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and in New York (not sure where). Large selection of classic frames in a variety of materials, including horn.
Are they the optical past Maus & Hoffman on the south side of Worth Ave, close to the crystal and porcelain collectibles store?

Jon.

MikeF

Reaction score
Any particular reason you aren't thinking about contacts?
I wear contacts 98% of the time - these frames would be for the other 2%.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wear contacts 98% of the time - these frames would be for the other 2%.

You know, Indiana Jones only wore glasses 2% of the time.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I looked at (mostly titanium) frames by the following companies:

a/p Lab
Bada
Bevel
Eye'd
Eye'DC
IC Berlin
Kisura
L.A. Eyeworks
Lindberg
Matsuda
Micro Shapes
Mitani
Okio
Prodesign
Sama
Silhouette
Takeo Kikuchi

before deciding to go with a frame by Micro Shapes. I can honestly say that I made the decision without expense being a factor, since many of them were in the same general price range and since I was looking for something which I would be using for a very long time.
I just didn't feel that I would be comfortable with the frames of 2.5 or Silhouette. I was not blown away by the concept of screwless hinges featured on frames by Lindberg and a couple others. I looked at many, many frames before very slowly narrowing the field to three finalists: (if I remember correctly)Bevel, Micro Shapes and Prodesign, and ultimately choosing a frame by Micro Shapes.
What are your thoughts on these companies' offerings?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Some I thought were just too light or too flexible. I wanted something "solid" and a bit stiff. 2.5 and Silhouette were eliminated. Lindberg didn't blow me away - the hinges may have been screwless, but the frames didn't suit me. The fewer solder points, the better, so I eliminated a couple by this process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads