• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyeglasses

5thave

Reaction score
I need to get a new pair of eyeglasses. Is there any advice or rules to follow as far as how the glasses should be matched to a persons face? Should a person with a round face get square looking frames? Any advice on color? Any advice on anything about fashion with eyeglasses is much appreciated.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Narrow rectangular frames are usually best for round faces - gives it some angularity. The best advice would be to go to a stylish optometrist and get advice there. There are a lot of factors to be considered , the width of your face, the length, the color of your hair and your skin tone, etc...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you want the glasses to be a statement of some kind, I think glasses are best when they are as invisible as possible -- frameless, with small wire metal arms -- and sized to fit your face (not too big, not too small, etc.). Sometimes glasses are worn as part of someone's style or "uniform" and sometimes it really doesn't work - one preppy guy in my office wears the Ben Silver-type brown tortoise-shell round glasses, and they compliment his style -- it works in his case. On the other hand, another guy in my office who has gotten passed over twice now for partner recently got a pair of narrow black rectangular plastic glasses in an avante-guard style -- personally, I think they look ridiculous and certainly not appropriate IMO for day-time business/law firm wear and certainly don't help him appear mature or "partnerly."

Find a top notch optician, rather than a bargain basement place. You'll pay full retail, but you'll get the pair that fits and that looks good for your face.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you want the glasses to be a statement of some kind, I think glasses are best when they are as invisible as possible -- frameless, with small wire metal arms -- and sized to fit your face (not too big, not too small, etc.). Â Sometimes glasses are worn as part of someone's style or "uniform" and sometimes it really doesn't work - one preppy guy in my office wears the Ben Silver-type brown tortoise-shell round glasses, and they compliment his style -- it works in his case. Â On the other hand, another guy in my office who has gotten passed over twice now for partner recently got a pair of narrow black rectangular plastic glasses in an avante-guard style -- personally, I think they look ridiculous and certainly not appropriate IMO for day-time business/law firm wear and certainly don't help him appear mature or "partnerly." Find a top notch optician, rather than a bargain basement place. Â You'll pay full retail, but you'll get the pair that fits and that looks good for your face.
This is a great illustration of why working in a big firm would probably suck. Seriously, we can wear whatever we want to work, and only an idiot would judge a researcher on anything other than his productivity and ability to find and articulate new ideas. One of the best, most respected researchers in the field wears a Costby sweater, too short trackpants, and running shoes most of the time. Another looks like he reads and follows the advice given in the American Trad posts in AAAC. Either way, what they wear is completely irrelevant. Maybe it's just me, but I do not want to work at a place where your choice of eyeglasses glasses will affect your chances at promotion. Maybe it's purely prejudice, but I would think that the people in charge are idiot savants at best, but are more likely to be just idiots. I don't like working for idiots.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be sure to check out what the salespersons are wearing, not just in glasses but also their clothing. The people at Eyemasters dress like JC Penny salesmen while the higher-end place I went to had a few ladies that dressed like Nordstrom employees (not that great, but a step or two up).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert,June 07 2005,07:22
Unless you want the glasses to be a statement of some kind, I think glasses are best when they are as invisible as possible -- frameless, with small wire metal arms -- and sized to fit your face (not too big, not too small, etc.). Â Sometimes glasses are worn as part of someone's style or "uniform" and sometimes it really doesn't work - one preppy guy in my office wears the Ben Silver-type brown tortoise-shell round glasses, and they compliment his style -- it works in his case. Â On the other hand, another guy in my office who has gotten passed over twice now for partner recently got a pair of narrow black rectangular plastic glasses in an avante-guard style -- personally, I think they look ridiculous and certainly not appropriate IMO for day-time business/law firm wear and certainly don't help him appear mature or "partnerly." Find a top notch optician, rather than a bargain basement place. Â You'll pay full retail, but you'll get the pair that fits and that looks good for your face.
This is a great illustration of why working in a big firm would probably suck. Â Seriously, we can wear whatever we want to work, and only an idiot would judge a researcher on anything other than his productivity and ability to find and articulate new ideas. Â One of the best, most respected researchers in the field wears a Costby sweater, too short trackpants, and running shoes most of the time. Â Another looks like he reads and follows the advice given in the American Trad posts in AAAC. Â Either way, what they wear is completely irrelevant. Maybe it's just me, but I do not want to work at a place where your choice of eyeglasses glasses will affect your chances at promotion. Â Maybe it's purely prejudice, but I would think that the people in charge are idiot savants at best, but are more likely to be just idiots. Â I don't like working for idiots.
I think it's just harder (not impossible, just a few degrees harder) for clients and the more senior partners to take him seriously when the glasses are prominent and not "serious." Â In his case, they are not really age appropriate I don't think.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and ultimately, the 'people you work for' (i.e. the idiots) are the clients, not the partners. if you chronically got the mark 'does not play well with others' on your report card in grade school, then it's probably best to avoid working at places where you need to make a good impression. 'hell is other people', that's why the business uniform includes a tie.
wink.gif
/andrew

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great illustration of why working in a big firm would probably suck.  Seriously, we can wear whatever we want to work, and only an idiot would judge a researcher on anything other than his productivity and ability to find and articulate new ideas.

There was a comment recently made about guys in suits being out to separate you from your wallet.  Isn't that just another form of judging someone from his attire?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, I'd recommend going to a high end optical shop. Not only will the frames be better looking, but you can order higher-quality lenses as well. Things really do look better through Zeiss and other "premium" lenses. I read a lot and work at a computer, and I find that the better lenses are worth the extra money.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ June 07 2005,10:35) This is a great illustration of why working in a big firm would probably suck. Â Seriously, we can wear whatever we want to work, and only an idiot would judge a researcher on anything other than his productivity and ability to find and articulate new ideas.
There was a comment recently made about guys in suits being out to separate you from your wallet. Â Isn't that just another form of judging someone from his attire?
I did state in that post that that was my personal prejudice. I didn't justify it. However, I would hope that if I ever have people working for me that their personal appearance, unless highly objectionable (i.e. mothers needing to cover their children's eyes for fear of lasting pyschological trauma), would in no way influence my assessment of their performance.

kookydooky

Reaction score
How should the color of the glasses relate to your skin/hair color?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
This is a great illustration of why working in a big firm would probably suck. Seriously, we can wear whatever we want to work, and only an idiot would judge a researcher on anything other than his productivity and ability to find and articulate new ideas. One of the best, most respected researchers in the field wears a Costby sweater, too short trackpants, and running shoes most of the time. Another looks like he reads and follows the advice given in the American Trad posts in AAAC. Either way, what they wear is completely irrelevant. Maybe it's just me, but I do not want to work at a place where your choice of eyeglasses glasses will affect your chances at promotion. Maybe it's purely prejudice, but I would think that the people in charge are idiot savants at best, but are more likely to be just idiots. I don't like working for idiots.

Ideally this is true in a university setting, but I've been working at a university for the past 10 years and this certainly isn't the case. Academia is just as political as the corporate world, and I've worked in both. I have friends who are fed up with academia because they write all the research papers, chug numbers and get grant money, but someone else gets the promotion or first author on a paper and they aren't even mentioned. So then they go looking for work in the corporate world only to realize they are only getting offered jobs 1/2 of what they think they are worth with less vacation time. And the cycle repeats
wink.gif
I've pretty much accepted that being The Man is the only way to stop working for him.

Wasn't there a time years back when people were expected to wear nicer clothes in academia? It probably wasn't as important as at a law firm, but still I don't think people would take you as seriously if they came in barefoot, which I see all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads