• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyeglasses- do I need the various expensive coatings they'll try to sell me?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
You have to "size down". Order 0.5 less on each eye than your prescription claims and it will be perfect.

0.5 less on which part of the prescription? I have a pair of Zennis coming soon, so I'll weigh in on them in about 2 weeks.

and yeah, if you have terrible vision, then high index is key unless you want to look like a 3rd grader from 1955.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of my zenni glasses for reference. Actually, my favorite.
andreyanya0083.jpg
As for transitions, they aren't all that effective, but definitely won't hurt. If you drive a lot, I suggest you get clip-ons or an extra pair of dark glasses, since transitions don't really darken behind glass. They fully darken, I believe, in 10 minutes, but it's a graduate process, so you will see results much sooner. If you have extra cash - get it. I prefer having a pair of prescription dark glasses in my car at all times.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
0.5 less on which part of the prescription? I have a pair of Zennis coming soon, so I'll weigh in on them in about 2 weeks.

and yeah, if you have terrible vision, then high index is key unless you want to look like a 3rd grader from 1955.

OD SPH and OS SPH.

I didn't know that when I ordered my first pair, and it came out to be the most uncomfortable of all my glasses. A little too sharp. You will feel it when you get your order. If it feels too sharp - size down on your next order. There won't be a big difference in terms of vision, but the glasses will feel much better.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1
I have never owned Transitions lenses, but can almost always tell when someone does have them, since they never seem to go completely clear when inside.

Mine never did. They were awful.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I was thinking about ordering Transitions with my next pair. How quickly do they adjust? I'm especially interested in how quickly they become clear when getting out of the sun.

In my case, I never notice the "transition", because they don't get as dark as regular sunglasses. If you take them off, immediately after going inside and look at them, you'll notice they are dark but get clear very quickly. Over time, they get somewhat yellowy, but it's not uncomfortable. Anyway, by the time they get like that, it's probably time to replace them anyway.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried transition lenses but opted not to use them anymore because they don't get as dark as I would prefer. In bright conditions you almost don't notice that your lenses are darker.

Styk33

Reaction score
I have around a dozen pair of Zenni glasses. I bought a couple with the different tint/antiglare options to see what their product was like. $30 well spent. Then I went back and ordered 10 more pairs of a variety of frames and a few tinted. I still have my expensive glasses in a drawer, I use them for working around the house and such. All my Zenni glasses are my regular eyewear. It is nice to coordinate my glasses with what I am wearing.

The different color tints are nice if you want to stand out. I bought an orange and blue tint and found I rarely wear them, but I have dawned them a few times. Considering I have spent less than $150 on all 12 glasses from Zenni, I am quite happy.

Anyone that orders glasses with demo lenses (no prescription) can save $5. I ordered a pair that my pupils are too close together for and they take $5 off the price. They are very similar to the ones Elliot Gould wore in Ocean's Eleven.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zennis came. the prescription is great--way better than my contacts and better than my old glasses from a brick & mortar place--though i used really old frames for those. i did not follow acecow's "sizing down" suggestion, but they came out really well, so i dunno.

i got the high index (the cheapest of the 3 high index choices). the lenses are thin--i don't see a reason to pay for the more expensive high index choices, and i have terrible vision.

i also got antiglare, but there are some minimal reflections from light sources. any reflections, however, are green. it's weird.

other than that, one problem is that the frames are actually smaller than i thought. i guess it's good to actually check the measurements on their site with your face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads