• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extremely confused

indianshaft

Reaction score
I went to Allen Edmonds and Alden in NYC today, and left very impressed.

I also looked at many different places. I stopped in at Johnston and Murphys found what I wanted at the right price, went to try them on and they were to small. It was a size 10. I am normally a 10 1/2 but thought why not give it a try. I then when to AE and tried on the Bayridge (why? I don't know I want a boot it is NYC) and asked for a 10.5 D. They came out with a 10 and it felt big tried it on and fit like a glove. Got measured at Alden, AE and JM all have me wearing a 11. Look at my shoes I have a pair of old reverse split toe 10.5 pair of square toe dress boots size 10. I have a pair of sneakers 11.5

eh.gif

It makes no sense. Can someone please explain to me what shoe size I am? Should I even consider looking at size 11 dress shoe? Specifically a church's dress shoe do they run big?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indianshaft
Can someone please explain to me what shoe size I am?

Yes, the salesperson you buy the shoes from

dasai

Reaction score
Different shoes are made on different lasts, which are shaped differently. Thus, the same size foot will often fit in different sizes for different shoes, even if that seems counterintuitive. Just roll with it and wear what fits.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Why care if you're different sizes in different shoes?

Pick the brand of shoes you like best, try on a few sizes, buy the one that feels the best. Every shoe is constructed differently.

The world doesn't become the twilight zone because you aren't one universal size in shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A laymans answer for you; a shoe is built on, what is called a 'last'. This is what will give the shoe its final shape. Read this page from the Allen Edmonds site for more information: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001 Each manufacturer has its own lasts and therefore sizing may slightly vary. This means you may not necessarily have one universal shoe size. You may take a 10.5D for a dress shoe but require an 12 in a running shoe. Knowing your sizing comes from experience. This is not something you can learn overnight. Be patient and learn this by trial and error. Have some 'wiggle room' in a pair of dress shoes.This allows your feet to breathe. Your feet are slightly smaller in the morning and larger in the evening. Your feet can swell even up to one size larger during the course of a day, it depends on if you are on them all day long or not. A half size is typical for swelling, therefore do you shopping-sizing in the evening. When sizing dress shoes, think ahead about the intended use or season the shoes will be worn. Wear the appropriate socks, in other words don't ever wear dirty socks or thick sport socks to try on a dress shoe, or whatever your needs dictate. Most importantly, invest some time in yourself by lurking the forum for a few months. Use also the Search feature as most questions you may have are already answered.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
^^ Troll ^^

Different shoes are made on different lasts, which are shaped differently. Thus, the same size foot will often fit in different sizes for different shoes, even if that seems counterintuitive. Just roll with it and wear what fits.

Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
facepalm.gif

The guys obviously a noob and you jump on him like that
plain.gif
. If you'd asked me what a last was a couple of years ago, I'd have had no idea either. Seriously, get off your high horses gentleman.

Nice answer Man of Lint

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get you fet measured at a reputable shop and there is your answer. However you need to understand there is more to ikt than simply size. The last wil make a difference and so can make.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Why care if you're different sizes in different shoes?

Pick the brand of shoes you like best, try on a few sizes, buy the one that feels the best. Every shoe is constructed differently.

The world doesn't become the twilight zone because you aren't one universal size in shoes.

+1. The same can be said for shirts/pants/etc. Every item is not cut/made the same way. If a 10.5 fits you in one mae and the 10 in another, WTF is the big deal...

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
The guys obviously a noob and you jump on him like that
plain.gif
. If you'd asked me what a last was a couple of years ago, I'd have had no idea either. Seriously, get off your high horses gentleman. Nice answer Man of Lint

The "troll" thing was pointing to a post from an actual troll, which has since been deleted. Has nothing to do with the OP, nor is the answer I gave particularly strident or condescending. Suppose I could've explained what a last is, but eh... hindsight is 20/20.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads