1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Extras That Made it "Big"

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by SoCal2NYC, Dec 25, 2008.

1. jesask

jesask Senior member

It has been awhile since I have seen it but I seem to remember Ben Affleck being in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

2. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I think I remember seeing Matthew Mcconaughey in "Doc Hollywood" with M J Fox.
    He was on lying on a table, turned his head and puked.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Michael Imperioli is a kid on stage in Lean on Me.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Seth Rogan was also in Donnie Darko for a brief second.

He was more than an extra, but Christopher Walken's brief appearence in Annie Hall is pretty funny. He wasn't that big then

Caught the last 1/3 of Anchorman on TV the other day and noticed this as well. IIRC he has one or two lines. He was also a recurring character in Freaks and Geeks back in the day though...

5. mert54

mert54 Senior member

KG Kyle Gass from Tenacious D was in Elf for about 10 seconds.

6. mert54

mert54 Senior member

And Vince Vaughn was in an episode of Doogie Howser as a patient for about a minute.

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Caught the last 1/3 of Anchorman on TV the other day and noticed this as well. IIRC he has one or two lines. He was also a recurring character in Freaks and Geeks back in the day though...

Well, this is about extras. He was a main character on freaks and geeks (one of the best tv shows i've ever seen)

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Well, this is about extras. He was a main character on freaks and geeks (one of the best tv shows i've ever seen)

I thought it was about extras that made it big...So if he was already a main character then wouldn't he have already made it big? His bit in Anchorman would be more of a cameo than anything. Maybe we're just not seeing the point of the thread clearly....I need to get out of the office soon.

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I don't think i ever mentioned anchor man. I said Donnie Darko. I don't remember him much in anchorman, but i'll take your word for it.

Also, he was a main character in Freaks and Geeks and everybody on that show was unknown. It was a show with most all unknown (at the time) actors.

In donnie darko, he wasn't famous and probably just took any job he could for money. That's what i think when i think "extra". Cameos are usually already semi-famous people making an appearance in a movie either because the movie makers wanted to say that actor was in the movie, because it'd be "funny" to have that guy just appear for a second, or the actor knew the director/other actors and just wanted to be a part of it for a second. Extras are normally non-famous people in the sea of millions of actors just trying to take whatever job to make some cash.

Sarah Silverman was on an episode of Seinfeld now that i think of it.

10. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

Cuba Gooding Jr. was an extra in Coming to America as a customer in the barber shop.

11. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

Damon Wayans played the gay hotel worker who gives Eddie Murphy a couple of bananas in "Beverly Hills Cop".

How about "stars who became extras"?

Michael Gross, the dad in 'Family Ties', played the dad of Vanilla Ice's love interest in 'Cool As Ice'.

I, uh ..... that's what I heard.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Damon Wayans played the gay hotel worker who gives Eddie Murphy a couple of bananas in "Beverly Hills Cop".

How about "stars who became extras"?

Probably harder to do because alot of stars purposely do cameos, unless you would consider that the same thing.

13. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

Nah, cameos are different -- they're cool exactly because the person doing it knows it's a throwaway role. It's deliberate rather than desperate, which is what Michael Gross taking a role in "Cool As Ice" was.

14. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

cool as ice.

"You ain't true to yourself you ain't true to nobody!"
    "Lose the zero and get with the hero"

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Slightly related, Courteney Cox's legs appear in Bruce Springsteen's video for I'm On Fire.

Kevin Costner was the deceased in The Big Chill, but all his scenes were cut.

16. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

she was also pulled on stage to dance with him in the Dancing in the Dark video

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. I think this was a cameo though. I'm trying to figure out when this came out. Edit: Yeah, this was after Bill and Ted. So I'd say he was "big" by this point. Damn.

18. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

William Peterson had one line as a bartender in the movie 'Thief' and a few years later got the lead in 'Manhunter' (both Michael Mann films). Dennis Farina also has a bit part in 'Thief' and a much larger role in 'Manhunter'.