• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra-Thick MOP Shirt Buttons

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased one gross (144) of thick MOP shirt buttons from the following source (mentioned in a recent thread on the topic):

http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Mothe...l_Buttons.html

The buttons are the "Queen of Mother of Pearl" (T2310) ones (third button down in the listing) and are about 10 mm. (.40") in diameter (referred to as "16 ligne") and, by my measurement, about 3.55 mm. or .140" thick. This is very thick for MOP. As a comparison, the super-thick Borrelli shirt buttons are 3.95 mm. thick, just a little thicker. These buttons are really beautiful--quite luminous and showing the typical MOP colors. This was a group purchase, but I do have a few left over if anyone is interested. The cost is $1.59 per button (what I paid by buying a gross--$229 US for 144 buttons), and I can cover shipping to Canada or the US. Let me know by PM is you'd like a few for a custom shirt project. You need 7 for a shirt with no gauntlet button and French cuffs; 9 for no gauntlet button, but one-button cuffs, and 11 for two-button cuffs or one-button cuffs and a gauntlet button.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I have purchased one gross (144) of thick MOP shirt buttons from the following source (mentioned in a recent thread on the topic):

http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Mothe...l_Buttons.html

The buttons are the "Queen of Mother of Pearl" (T2310) ones (third button down in the listing) and are about 10 mm. (.40") in diameter (referred to as "16 ligne") and, by my measurement, about 3.55 mm. or .140" thick. This is very thick for MOP. As a comparison, the super-thick Borrelli shirt buttons are 3.95 mm. thick, just a little thicker. These buttons are really beautiful--quite luminous and showing the typical MOP colors. This was a group purchase, but I do have a few left over if anyone is interested. The cost is $1.59 per button (what I paid by buying a gross--$229 US for 144 buttons), and I can cover shipping to Canada or the US. Let me know by PM is you'd like a few for a custom shirt project. You need 7 for a shirt with no gauntlet button and French cuffs; 9 for no gauntlet button, but one-button cuffs, and 11 for two-button cuffs or one-button cuffs and a gauntlet button.

OT: I'm curious if you have trouble getting them through machine-made buttonholes, or did you get your shirts done with hand-sewn ones?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have those buttons from HST, they are much nicer than those thin MOP buttons. However, I still like Borrelli and Barba's thick MOP more.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
OT: I'm curious if you have trouble getting them through machine-made buttonholes, or did you get your shirts done with hand-sewn ones?
Well, I got them to have sewn onto some MTM shirts I'm having made, so that the tailor will make the buttonholes a little larger to accommodate them. I don't think it matters whether the buttonholes are hand- or machine-sewn just as long as they are slightly larger.

MilanoStyle: the HSP MOP buttons I got are 3.55 mm. thick (by precise measurement with a vernier caliper, so not the advertised 3.7 mm.). The ones on my Borrelli shirts are 3.95 mm., so about 11% thicker--not all that much. When I place an HSP button alongside a Borrelli button, there is quite a difference in appearance. The HSP really gleams and throws off the characteristic iridescent MOP colors, whereas the Borrelli is quite subdued and a comparatively lifeless white color in comparison.

Reaction score
where can I bulk buy these buttons? I want to sell the buttons in my country store...
they seem very expensive for one gross. very very expensive
I'd rather buy from the manufacturer

a-rock

Reaction score
I just ordered a batch of white MOP buttons from an ebayer, ButtonKingdom88. He's a relatively new seller so we'll see how it goes.

72 buttons cost USD$7.50 including shipping, so basically 10 cents a button. It was the cheapest I found for a half gross. These aren't the thick 3.5mm ones although I wasn't looking for in particular so he might offer them.

I'll post pics once they arrive but it'll be about 2 wks.

a-rock

Reaction score
Buttons arrived... 18mm

Pics make the colors look flatter and more orange than they really are. You know these look almost exactly like the buttons Jantzen use as their regular MOP (not the extra cost thicker ones). I compared to a couple of my Jantzen shirts and they're nearly identical although its a fairly standard design. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same supplier.

Half gross was enough to get the buttons on 10 shirts replaced. Not a bad way to spend $7.50 + $5/shirt at the tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads