• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra Slim Fit Shirts

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
I'm looking for some slightly inexpensive ($100 max) extra slim fit dress shirts. I've been reading about the new XSF line that Brooks Brothers just released and might pick up a few of those. I have a Jack and Jones shirt that fits me perfectly but they have since discontinued this fit (at least to my knowledge). Anyone have any good ideas of brands I should look at? I live in Victoria, BC if you could name some shops for me to gander into. Thanks

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most people here will tell you to try MTM shirts. You will get the fit you want and can get decent fabrics for under $100, or good fabrics for just over that if you use the foreign manufacturers.

If you don't get many responses it is because this is a frequently asked question. Try searching for more history.

jaggy

Reaction score
Read the sticky at the top, "The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts."

I dabbled in MTM for a bit. It took me a few shirts to get the sizing right. The customization options were really nice, but fabric selection could be hit or miss.

I'm a big fan of the Brooks x-slim fit shirts for the money, assuming you stack the buy 3 deal with a 25%+ off sale (or at least the corporate discount card). They fit me OTR almost as well as MTM, which is rather convenient. I'm looking forward to the non-iron variety and hoping Brooks offers more shirts with their ainsley collar.

Tbombs34

Reaction score
I've recently started buying Nordstrom's trim fit shirts, which I find fit (me at least) better than BB shirts. The smart care (Nordstrom's version of non-iron) shirts are great. Plus, they're generally $50-60 vs. $85 for BB shirts if you buy only one.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BB extra-slim is a bit restrictive in the shoulders for me--try before you buy.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Sherman Soho fits are great slim shirts. High armholes, narrow shoulders and very slim all round. Some of the fabrics are fantastic for the price (can get 3 of them for $100 at a good sale). I wear a particular one at least once a week for work and treat it like crap (leave it crumpled on the floor, stuffing it in a bag after gym when I couldn't be bothered putting dress shirt back on) and it still holds up great.

Dstocksky

Reaction score
I like the Hugo Boss slim fit shirts, but you may have to try to find some on sale (shouldn't be too difficult) somewhere. I think the fit is really nice.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaggy
Read the sticky at the top, "The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts."

This.

And, Moderntailor.com You can get them as slim as you want them that way. The fabric is tough to guess at just from pics, but I've come up mostly lucky - and I think I'm averaging about $55 each shipped including thick MOP buttons.

atila

Reaction score
Safest route would be to find a shirt you like that has the neck size you want and the fabric/color you want, and then get it tailored.

I've bought $90 dress shirts from Overstock.com for $20 and as long as the neck was the right size, I was able to spend another $30-50 and got them made exactly how I wanted.

I was getting high quality Ike Bekhar, Joseph Abboud, and Hugo Boss dress shirts for below retail price and they fit tailored to my exact desires.

Tailor > MTM (in my opinion)

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
^or you could just get the right fit initially...

try hugo boss red label, thomas pink super slim, charles tyrwhit tailored fit, RLBL

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the BB extra-slim fit shirts as well.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaggy
I'm a big fan of the Brooks x-slim fit shirts for the money, assuming you stack the buy 3 deal with a 25%+ off sale (or at least the corporate discount card). They fit me OTR almost as well as MTM, which is rather convenient. I'm looking forward to the non-iron variety and hoping Brooks offers more shirts with their ainsley collar.

When will BB be selling the extra slim non-iron?

Boss1982

Reaction score
I've purchased some Boss black label slim firt shirts for about $27.00 a piece. they are holding up nicely right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads