• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra care with expensive shoes?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having seen luk-cha's post on the Koji Suzuki shoe (fantastic, by the way), as well as seeing the shoe Appreciation posted regularly by the fanatics on this forum, I'm just wondering if special extra care are taken by those who own these beautiful shoes. When you wear >$1K on your feet and going about your everyday life, are you constantly on the lookout for puddles of water, dog poo, other people's careless placement of their feet/shoe....etc?

With my less-than-retail AE's/C&J's/Santoni's/Tramezza's I try not to scuff up the leather, but otherwise pay little attention. I shudder to think what I'd do if my MTM Lobb or EG is assaulted by a piece of carelessly placed used chewing gum or stepped upon by an idiot in the elevator!

argoth

Reaction score
Wear the shoes, don't let them wear you.

Arg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...lookout for puddles of water, dog poo, other people's careless placement of their feet/shoe....etc?
Nice shoes seem to be a magnet for these things.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am more careful when wearing Lobbs or EGs than when I'm wearing tennis shoes, for example. I only wear my "good" shoes when absolutely necessary. And of course it's vitally important to take care of your shoes after wearing them (i.e., regular polishing, shoe trees, etc.)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It shows a serious lack of sprezzatura if you're walking on eggshells all day - regardless of how expensive your shoes are. In fact, the more expensive your shoes the more of a badass you look like if you walk around in them like you don't care. If you walk around in your $1000 shoes and you look like you are trying to avoid every little possible spot where they could get a bit dirty or whatever, it makes you look like you had to skip a mortgage payment to buy those shoes (i.e., like you really can't afford those shoes).

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Encounters with the various shoe destroyers in life can't be helped and it's a bit, well, precious, to obsess about avoiding them.

Just do the best to recover the shoe after an encounter and if the shoe is lost, c'est la vie. I had to chuck a pair of nice Ferragamos earlier this year after a dog left them a present that I just couldn't get rid of...

... well, as they say, $hit happens...
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try not to expose my better shoes to inclement weather if at all possible, either by wearing rubber soled shoes or by wearing over-shoes(rubbers). I start each the day with the Weather Channel.

arenn

Reaction score
I must confess I do treat my nicer shoes better than I do my everyday shoes (which are Allen Edmonds, predominantly). A few differences:

1. I don't wear them as frequently.

2. I don't wear them in bad weather (rain or snow)

3. I polish them myself

At the end of the day though, if you are too uncomfortable in any article of clothing for whatever reason, it will show. I must admit I typically am a bit ill at ease in any brand new clothing item, but after a few wears feel a lot more comfortable in it.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that shoes should be enjoyed, my JL Cheslands are currently my favourite 'roughing' it shoes/boots - comfy and easy to slip on and off.

I still take care of my shoes of course - shoe trees (just bought a whole load of wooden full shoe trees), cleaning/polishing. I do have a few that I reserve for 'special' occasions rather than wear day to day for work etc. It's all too easy to 'hoard' these, so I make an active effort to put as many as I can into the 'rotation'.
smile.gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I keep my shoes in tip top shape by never wearing them. My "wearing" shoes are Kenneth Coles, everything else I just keep in my closet and take them out every once in a while to photgraph them.

crackup[1].gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I keep my shoes in tip top shape by never wearing them. My "wearing" shoes are Kenneth Coles, everything else I just keep in my closet and take them out every once in a while to photgraph them.
Aportnoy?

Seriously, one thing is that better shoes hold up a lot better. Try scuffing an EG as opposed to a Made in India Cole Haan.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I use better polish on all my shoes these days but I do tend to wear my bespoke pairs on sunny days generally.

Better shoes do last better in all conditions of course but there is a tendency to treat them better due to the cost.

I tend to wear boots in very rough weather and rubber soles in rain.
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Better shoes do last better in all conditions of course but there is a tendency to treat them better due to the cost.

Actually, I wonder how much of better shoes lasting longer is a product of treating them better while wearing them. Same thing with any article of clothing actually. If you have a $1000 sportcoat that you only wear standing up and always hang up on your best hanger, it should be no suprise that it lasts longer than a $100 sportcoat that you wear while rock climbing and partying that ends up on the floor of somebody's apartment for the night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads