• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extending the Life of Your Disposable Razor

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A challenger appears.

68020.jpg

(Yes, I use one. Yes, you will cut yourself. No you will not decapitate yourself.)

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Switch to DE razor, buy derby blades for 10 cents each, throw away after each use. Still probably cheaper and you get a better shave. You don't even have to throw them away each time, you could probably get 3 good shaves out of one.

For 3 read 20. Depends on how hard your beard is, and how soft your skin. After three uses I'm still breaking a blade in.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
For 3 read 20. Depends on how hard your beard is, and how soft your skin. After three uses I'm still breaking a blade in.

+1. I go at least 2 or 3 weeks before changing blades. Tried the Derbies but prefer the Bluebirds which I think cost me about $20 for 500 a couple years ago on the bay.

The key to shaving with a DE is to not use any pressure...just drag it along your skin. It sounds and feels like "scraping".

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I was using more expensive blades I'd use them like 10 times and throw them away. I was shaving everyday though. I just let it for for like 2 weeks and shave it off now, so its probably damaging the blade more since I do like 5 passes.

I use proraso shaving cream, a Merkur HD, the long one and some **** brush I bought for $15 from a shave shop. Its not even badger, its boar whiskers. The razor is like $20, I buy a pack of 100 blades for like $10, which could give you like 1000 shaves, the shaving cream is like $4 for cheap stuff. I used to go to TK maxx and buy $40 English shaving creams on sale for like $8. A tub lasts a couple months, you barely have to use any soap. You don't need an expensive brush, you can spend hundreds on a huge silver tip badger one, but you don't really need one big. Its not like your face is massive and its gonna take hours to cover it with soap if you use a small brush. You don't even need a badger one. Apparently if your face is really sensitive a bore bristle brush will irritate it and you need something softer, but if your face is getting fucked up by being wiped with animal hairs you probably shouldn't be dragging a razor across it.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been using the same braun electric shaver for the past 4 years. It cost around $40 and I'll probably use it for the next 5 more years.. I always hated shaving with a disposable razor.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
It's probably more cleaning than honing. I've been told and am to lazy to find a citation for by a friend at the Philips razor department that oxidation is the main culprit of blunt razorblades.

I've heard that too. There is another product that's a jar with some solution in a well that your razor head goes in when not in use.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Do you use soap or is regular gillette fusion hydra gel foam plenty? Might want to try that DE razor, even though that thing looks scary as hell. Just need to find a place to purchase blades - and of course the DE razor
laugh.gif

I bought mine (Merkur 33c) from the affiliate, West Coast Shaving. Still on the sample blade pack, that **** lasts forever. You can use soap or creme or mix the two together for really awesome lather. I wouldn't use regular gel from a can it's not hydrated enough.

tacobender

Reaction score
I bought a 10 dollar handle on ebay, and then bought 10 dollars worth of blades (about 300 or so), I could get a 2 weeks out of each blade if I wanted but I choose to throw them out after two uses.

I really like Kiehls or John Allen for shaving lotion. I was not a huge fan of Art of Shaving or Vitaman.

I agree with not using gel from a can, sure they are 4 bucks for a huge can, but it doesn't last any longer than the smaller containers of high quality lotion.

steviecakes

Reaction score
Bought a 1940s Gilette Superspeed on eBay for <$10 shipped.
Bought $10 worth of blades on eBay.
Still haven't cut myself (save for a pimple or 2) or run out of blades
And this was a year ago
Granted I'm Asian so I don't have to shave every day

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads