• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extended Warranty for a laptop? Yes/No?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop for around $700, maybe $750 with tax. It comes with a one year warranty. My question is should I get the extended 2 year warranty for additional $80? Or the extended 3 year warranty for $100?

This is going to be my first laptop. I will take very good care of it of course, but that doesn't mean I can promise that nothing will happen to my laptop.

What are your thoughts?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. A laptop should be expected to last 3 years and they generally do.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Either you buy a enterprise-grade laptop that doesn't fall apart or you buy an extended warranty. Consumer-grade laptops are so cheaply made, you either expect to keep it for a year or buy the extended warranty.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Computers are generally outdated within 3 years.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save a couple more hundred bucks and get a mac.

Godot

Reaction score
The laptop is covered for the first year. By the end of the first year, your laptop will begin to be outdated and it's 2nd hand. It's value will have dropped dropped from $700 to say $300. Does it make sense to insure something worth $300 for $80? It's a really bad bet for the consumer, but a money maker for the PC company. That's why they push it.
By the end of the 3rd year, there will be so many bells and whistles on the new models, yours is going to seem like a dinosaur and will have a value of $100 if that.

Good news that if the current trends in cell phones-calculators-and computers continues, in 3 years, new laptops will be better and dirt cheap.

Example: my first calculator was the size of 1/2 a brick and wholesale cost me $60. Today they are the size of a playing card and are given away at trade shows or you can pick one up at a dollar store.

I'd pass on the extended warranty.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
No. Computers are generally outdated within 3 years.
Yes, but 95% of major hardware issues on laptops are so expensive to fix after 3 years, most "extended warranty" options will give you a new laptop. I say yes, but don't get it through a retailer's warranty (ie: Best Buy's warranty is garbage). Go with the manufacturer's extended warranty options. I haven't sold laptops in 3-4 years, but when I did .. HP and Dell both had really awesome warranty options. That even included physical damage. They also had various price options, so if you didn't want to spend $500 on the best warranty, they had something cheaper that still covered you for 3+ years .. which typically doesn't exist through your retailers. As for desktops .. **** no, don't get the warranty. Same goes for printers. Generally, laptop warranties aren't that bad of an investment. Especially if don't take extremely good care of the thing. From personal experience: I worked at best buy when I bought a Toshiba laptop, had it for almost 2 years. Screen hinge's crapped out, so I sent it in under the warranty I bought (which is half price for employee's). 2 weeks later, they gave me a $1200 in-store gift card because they couldn't fix my laptop. So I got a new HP. *** not to mention, anything that "moves" on a laptop typically has a 90 day warranty. Charger, hinge's, keyboard, trackpad, harddrive, etc.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Wow! For some reason, your laptop BIOS died during flashing. Guess it was a power failure or something. Good thing it happened two months before the stock warranty expired. But then, the cat and the keyboard had problems too, so it's a good thing you're sending it in for replacement. Right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads