1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davesmith, Nov 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

As long as it's from Iceland and not England, the "reverse Hadrian" is coming! But seriously, like most small independent countries, I'd expect a severe lurch towards the right in nationalist expression and policies over the next few years. If secession happens, that is.

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Nah, a mate of mine is from Essex but lives in Glasgow. He's voting yes!
    My head tells my heart that come next Thursday, most Scots will do what they usually do come crunch time; vote Labour (No)

3. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Why rock the boat? Is it really that being part of the UK?

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

It seems counter intuitive.

Also, there's a chance it might violate international law.

From wikipedia, referencing Canada's situation:

The answer to the second question, which concerned Quebec's right under international law to secede, gave the opinion that the international law on secession was not applicable to the situation of Quebec. The court pointed out that international law "does not specifically grant component parts of sovereign states the legal right to secede unilaterally from their 'parent' state."

The Supreme Court of Canada's opinion stated that the right of a people to self-determination was expected to be exercised within the framework of existing states, by negotiation, for example. Such a right could only be exercised unilaterally under certain circumstances, under current international law. The court held that:

The various international documents that support the existence of a people's right to self-determination also contain parallel statements supportive of the conclusion that the exercise of such a right must be sufficiently limited to prevent threats to an existing state's territorial integrity or the stability of relations between sovereign states.

and that

A state whose government represents the whole of the people or peoples resident within its territory, on a basis of equality and without discrimination, and respects the principles of self-determination in its own internal arrangements, is entitled to the protection under international law of its territorial integrity.

The court stated in its opinion that under international law, the right to secede was meant for peoples under a colonial rule or foreign occupation. Otherwise, so long as a people has the meaningful exercise of its right to self-determination within an existing nation state, there is no right to secede unilaterally.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

It could be argued that Scots don't have the right to self determination tho.
    As to whether being part of the UK is bad; we have a government we didn't vote for and that only looks our way to check the oil and gas are still flowing and for somewhere to park the nukes. Our payment for this? Being called scroungers and ne'er do wells. I have nothing against England or the English people but I'd like us to be given the opportunity to prove some people wrong

6. othertravel

It's an interesting debate. But keep in mind that the union was sealed by both houses of parliament in the Acts of Union, which is an act of self determination.

Also important to remember that Labour gets a chunk of its seats from Scotland and that the last two Labour PMs were Scottish. So to argue that you have a government that you didn't vote for also applies to Tory ridings under the Blair and Brown years. But you didn't see a movement to separate England from the Union because of it.

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

True, but the act of union was signed by a small group of aristocrats and landowners with no consultation of the people. And remember that we got those goverents and PMs because middle England rose up against the Tories. Everyone in Scotland could vote for one party and still get a different one in power based on the votes of people in London alone. (Blair is Scottish by parentage alone btw, his ward is in NE england))

8. davesmith

Some new arrivals...

Exquisite Trimmings

The linen pocket squares with a coloured edge are back in stock in 3 colours, navy, light blue and black. Unlike the previous batch which were made in Italy, these are printed and hand rolled in England.

View more details and purchase here: http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/p...Finest-Linen-Handkerchiefs-with-Coloured.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added a staple grenadine to the collection. Handrolled in Italy and available in 2 widths and lengths. 8cm x 147cm and 9cm x 149cm (3.25" x 58" and 3.5" x 59").

View more details and purchase here: http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties/Navy-Bar-Stripe-Large-Weave-Handrolled.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tie Your Tie

A woven silk jacquard, two wools and a woven donegal end the collection for this season.

View more details and purchase here: http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Designer/Tie-Your-Tie/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I've griped in the past about ET's customer service issues, but I have been pleasantly surprised by my last few orders. Whatever changes are afoot are very noticeable.

10. davesmith

Thank you for your honesty. I'm trying hard to keep on top of things but there will always be things that fall through the cracks, just a matter of keeping those things to a minimum.

Your support is very much appreciated.

11. othertravel

Hey Shaya,

Are you getting a restock of Drakes grenadines this month?

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

why is it worth it in the end?

13. othertravel

Sean Connery.

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I got several pocket squares from Shaya with the bank holiday code. The three Drake's are great, but this is now among my favorites. Rubinacci Villa Lucia. So versatile.

[​IMG]

15. davesmith

Still due a few shipments from Drake's, it's possible there will be more grenadines.

16. alco

alco Well-Known Member

any chance of re-stocking the Liverano braces?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. davesmith

Yes, but it will take a month or two.

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Ask, and Shaya will deliver!

19. davesmith

I'm really excited about some of the new arrivals that will be online over the next week or two. Here are a some sneak peaks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. davesmith

3 people like this.