1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exquisite Expensive Business Cards -Where Do I Find

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by erdavis, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I'm curious-- in what way did the client's cards look like shite? It could be just the design rather than the materials, in which case he could do fine with a more inexpensive printer and a better design.

2. Big A

Big A Senior member

Let's see Paul Allen's card.
    Ha ha ha that was my first thought too

Here is a real tip: Get a letterpress card. It is thick paper where the letters are imprinted, like a metal stamp. I have all my cards made this way and it is the best advertising available - I have gotten more favorable comments on my biz card than I can count - every time I hand it out someone comments on it. Patrick Bateman would happily stab me in the neck to the tune of "Hip to be Square" over it.

A company that does a really nice letterpress card is Page Printing. http://www.pagestationery.com

3. chiral

chiral Senior member

I would say for the best most personalized card the way to do it is to hire a graphics designer, as someone else said. Work with them to develop the exact typographical and design style you desire, and then they can forward their design and template to a printing house to print the card on any stock or paper that you could want.

It's much more expensive, but the result would be much more interesting and exclusive than a template found online.

4. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Ha ha ha that was my first thought too

Here is a real tip: Get a letterpress card. It is thick paper where the letters are imprinted, like a metal stamp. I have all my cards made this way and it is the best advertising available - I have gotten more favorable comments on my biz card than I can count - every time I hand it out someone comments on it. Patrick Bateman would happily stab me in the neck to the tune of "Hip to be Square" over it.

A company that does a really nice letterpress card is Page Printing. http://www.pagestationery.com

+100 also French Paper has some amazing stock with just the right amount of grain for a luxurious texture. When working with a letterpress ask them about woodtypes and antique dies, the imperfections from age add so much character to the way the letterforms look.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Middle eastern, you say?

[​IMG]

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Middle eastern, you say?

[​IMG]

Japan isn't in the middle-east...

7. mattyb124

mattyb124 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever notice that "Acquisitions" is spelled wrong on all the American Psycho business cards.

8. BryanHarig

BryanHarig Well-Known Member

Its the gold he is referring too, not the picture! [​IMG]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for this piece of information

10. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

... They use handmade paper with a torn edge and a letter press for an old world look......

I've seen similar cards done with hand caligraphy, metallic inks, and gilded in 24K gold leaf. The cost as I recall was about $125 each. I've also seen them done using linen rather than paper.

11. WorkingClassHero

WorkingClassHero Active Member

I used a printer who has a 100+ year old letterpress machine. You provide the design, he makes a plate, you choose the ink color and away you go. The thicker the paper the deeper the plate can be pressed into the paper. Beautiful cards and very cheap. Most big cities now have printers who use these old printing methods now - look up "Letterpress".

I used this guy in Northern Wisconsin on the shores of mighty Lake Superior.

http://superiorletterpress.com

500 cards for aprox. $140!

Fantastic quality.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

13. erdavis

erdavis Senior member

There are some really good suggestions in the posts. One of the posts regarding using antique letter press is an interesting idea.

I am going to try this company. They are quite possibly here in Tokyo with me.

http://www.meisiya.net/first/
    http://www.meisiya.net/first/paper.html#fav

I think the subtle texture, imperfection, plus letter press is the winning mix. I already had Crane letterpress and they are nice, but nothing special.

It is very fun to go around experimenting, especially when it is on some elses tab.

-eric

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used a printer who has a 100+ year old letterpress machine. You provide the design, he makes a plate, you choose the ink color and away you go. The thicker the paper the deeper the plate can be pressed into the paper. Beautiful cards and very cheap. Most big cities now have printers who use these old printing methods now - look up "Letterpress".

I used this guy in Northern Wisconsin on the shores of mighty Lake Superior.

http://superiorletterpress.com

500 cards for aprox. $140!

Fantastic quality.

Me too - I use Aardvark in downtown L.A. 100+ year old letter press.

Funny thing - I've never seen American Psycho, but people who see my card often make a reference to the movie. Seeing the card back on the first page of this thread, I realize how much my card resembles that one.

15. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Pineider.
    +1 Check their site for details about custom paper

16. harryx2

harryx2 Senior member

You should ask some cool graphic designers to give you ideas [​IMG]

17. 76classic

76classic Senior member

Any suggestions on business cards where price IS an issue? Tasteful, but won't break the bank.

18. erdavis

erdavis Senior member

Funny thing - I've never seen American Psycho, but people who see my card often make a reference to the movie. Seeing the card back on the first page of this thread, I realize how much my card resembles that one.

Any suggestions on business cards where price IS an issue? Tasteful, but won't break the bank.

I personally use Crane, they ran me about $75 for the plate and about $110 per box of hundred. They are nice tasteful, but they are nothing to impress the neighbors (sadly) after this thread I am going to consider some changes.

19. 76classic

76classic Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm only looking for some good for starters and then I can begin to move up.

20. Deipnosophist

Deipnosophist Senior member

As has been said, depending on what you're after, Smythsons and Page offer fantastic quality business cards, and fulfil the "expensive" part of this topic title too! They better be around in 5 years when I graduate [​IMG] EDIT: And does anyone have a link to a nice fancy business card holder? Just to show off even more [​IMG]