• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Express Suits - The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else In Between

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I did a bunch of searches on this forum for info on Express Suits but came up empty. Anyone with feedback on Express Suits? All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
oh..that Express. I had some jeans from there once. Once.

When he posted it, I thought he had found some rapid-fire-online-tailor co.

Re suits: Don't know, never seen them, what's your budget?

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Pass, H&M or Zara would be far better for the same price point/mall accesibility. Express has pretty big "middle america" sizing too.

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
Express. Everything runs big. I ordered a pair of pants, 28x30, and it was an ocean of fabric. I don't understand how in mens clothing you can sell pants with a 28 inch waist when they are actually have a 32 inch waist. It seems to defeat the purpose of the sizing schema. Their suits all seem to be sold as separates (online, anyways). $200-$250 for a jacket and another $100 for pants. There are places to get something MTM for the same price.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
I tried on a few Express suit separate jackets and pants a few weeks ago while strolling through the mall. The jackets fit ok and, with a little tailoring, could look decent. The pants tend to run big in the waist (30" fits like a 32") and the length of the pants are on the short side and they only give you maybe about 1" to 1.25" of extra length in the hem. If you're tall and thin, you may have a problem with the pants and may have better luck at H&M. The fabric on most suits is a combination of mediocre wool/polyester blend...etc...Even H&M's polyester suit separate jackets and pants, which you can buy for under $100, are far superior for the price.

On the other hand, Express has some really great slim fit shirts (some colors tend to be awfully bright, so stay with the whites, light blues, burgundies, blacks, greys...etc....), and with some coupons, you can grab them really cheap.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Octoberfile
On the other hand, Express has some really great slim fit shirts (some colors tend to be awfully bright, so stay with the whites, light blues, burgundies, blacks, greys...etc....), and with some coupons, you can grab them really cheap.

No, no they do not. Their shirts are garbage....saying they are decent just perpetuates the myth to most men that Exress is a good place to buy clothing.....
ffffuuuu.gif

And i couldnt say anymore negative about a black "dress" shirt. I guess they are ok if youre a waiter at TGIFridays on the weekends....same with the burgundies.

I bought an express suit for around 50 bucks one time...a pretty nifty whipchord suit...fits great. quality? ****. i paid 50 bucks for it. I probably wouldnt do it again, but at the time i wanted a whipchord suit.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
I tried on a few Express suit separate jackets and pants a few weeks ago while strolling through the mall. The jackets fit ok and, with a little tailoring, could look decent. The pants tend to run big in the waist (30" fits like a 32") and the length of the pants are on the short side and they only give you maybe about 1" to 1.25" of extra length in the hem. If you're tall and thin, you may have a problem with the pants and may have better luck at H&M. The fabric on most suits is a combination of mediocre wool/polyester blend...etc...Even H&M's polyester suit separate jackets and pants, which you can buy for under $100, are far superior for the price.

There is no such thing as a black dress shirt and spandex has absolutely no place in a dress shirt.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Their dress shirts are cotton, not spandex. Also, I go through dress shirts quick and Express' slim fit shirts are slim and relatively inexpensive. As far as quality goes? You get what you pay for. At regular price, maybe not a great buy, but Express' dress shirts are always on sale. For the above average (or average) height, skinny-athletic build guy, Express' shirt ain't bad for the dough.

otoklucu

Reaction score
Im a vendor for Express. These past few years they are using the cheapest fabrics a company can buy and cheapest maker..i would pass.. Zara and H&M have a much higher standard in fabric and garment manufacturing.. These companies are fashion where Express is about profit & not quality..

Octoberfile

Reaction score
I disagree regarding the prohibition on black dress shirts. Black collared shirts are a great alternative to wear at night paired with black or dark charcoal dress pants.

Take that you purists!

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input and feedback! Sounds like Express Suits are No Bueno.

I actually own a few of Express' slim fit dress shirts. I find that the sleeves are too long! The chest and waist area is a good slim fit though.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Their dress shirts are cotton, not spandex. Also, I go through dress shirts quick and Express' slim fit shirts are slim and relatively inexpensive. As far as quality goes? You get what you pay for. At regular price, maybe not a great buy, but Express' dress shirts are always on sale. For the above average (or average) height, skinny-athletic build guy, Express' shirt ain't bad for the dough.

Natural argument is if you bought decent shirts they wouldn't wear out so thin. I had a friend in school who only bought Express dress shirts and he would wear out the elbows in months. They were truly horrible.

I disagree regarding the prohibition on black dress shirts. Black collared shirts are a great alternative to wear at night paired with black or dark charcoal dress pants.

Take that you purists!

You may feel this way, and that's fine, but most here will disagree. I put to you a litmus test. How do you find this:

zti147tt8oye41tz.jpg

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Natural argument is if you bought decent shirts they wouldn't wear out so thin. I had a friend in school who only bought Express dress shirts and he would wear out the elbows in months. They were truly horrible.

You may feel this way, and that's fine, but most here will disagree. I put to you a litmus test. How do you find this:

zti147tt8oye41tz.jpg

Your litmus test is meaningless.

I find this to be better:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads