• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Express & Banana Mens Wool Dress Pants

carroll2001

Reaction score
Overview: I'm a big guy, 38" waist, 32" length, for my dress pants (according to Banana & Express). My quads are very large which prevents me from wearing anything "Slim" or "Skinny". I'm looking for a sharp dress pant for work.

History: I enjoyed Express Men's Producer Wool dress pants (~98% wool) until a few years ago, when the cut changed to a slim/skinny fit. When this happened, I switched to the then new Express Men's Agent wool dress pants (~65% wool). The Agents didn't fit quite right, so I switched to the Spring 2009 model of Banana Republic's Men's Modern Fit wool dress pants, and these fit perfectly!

Current Problem: I now find myself with a problem -- Banana's Fall 2010 Men's Wool dress pants do not fit the same as their Spring 2009 pants fit, and I need new pants
frown.gif

Can anyone recommend a similar fitting pant to the 2007/08 Express Wool producers or 2009 Banana Wool modern fit? I don't care what the brand is, as long as they hold up! What other companies make wool dress pants similar to Express/Banana?

Thank you all in advance
smile.gif

-C.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
You may need to go a size up. Express recently made their jackets more fuller in order to cater to the increasing girth of stomachs for a lot of guys. Express pants and jackets are good for the short term but invest for better quality wool in the future.

People on this form will tear you apart if you mention comments like wearing Express and Bananna Republic.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
People on this form will tear you apart if you mention comments like wearing Express and Bananna Republic.

Eh. If he paid full price yes. Many people here wear pants from there that they get for cheap and like them at their price point. If he's spending the sticker price of $80 or whatever, then there are much better pants.

carroll2001

Reaction score
Dressed2the9s - I've tried a size up, even two, and they're still too tight in my thigh/quad area. I played football for many years and despite my early retirement, my quads haven't shrunk in size and my waist has increased
frown.gif
It wasn't the name that drew me to Express/Banana, it was the fit. I borrowed a pair during my football years from one of our linebackers to go to an awards dinner and couldn't believe how comfortable the fit was. That's what I'm looking to replicate. What do you suggest for better quality wool? Any brands/stores? deadly7 - Never paid full price. Luckily, the size of my waist meant that they usually only had returns in the stores from people who bought online. You'd be surprised how long 38 or 40 waists sit on the racks and get re-priced, those stickers pile up on one another. I got a pair of $150 Banana suit pants for $9.99 at the beginning of the summer in 2009. Any store suggestions?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Brooks.
+1. Look at their "luxury" fit option if you're a big guy.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carroll2001
I got a pair of $150 Banana suit pants for $9.99 at the beginning of the summer in 2009.

Any store suggestions?

As I learned, 9.99 is about as much as BR pants are worth.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
You may need to go a size up. Express recently made their jackets more fuller in order to cater to the increasing girth of stomachs for a lot of guys. Express pants and jackets are good for the short term but invest for better quality wool in the future.

youre right only in some context though.
people here won't tear you apart if you are sincere (and relatively well thought-out) in your own particular tastes, purchases, questions, etc

as long as you, make sense/arent trolling, learn to read directions before posting, dont boast or push a brand upon anyone as if youre tastes are superior, and/or are not malicious in intent (in commerce, socially, or within your context of your story).

but there will always be a little healthy snark. that's different. it is of good humor though. that comes with the territory.

carroll2001

Reaction score
All, Thank you for your responses! I went to Macy's today and found a few solutions, both Mens Wool Dress Pants: Ralph Lauren 42W 32L Nautica 42W 32L They're both 100% wool, which tends to "pull" a tad more than my old Express Men's Producer Wool dress pants (~98% wool) from pre-2009. God, that 2% elastic Express would use really made a difference. So I think I'm set for the winter with these Ralph/Nautica mens wool pants. I'll keep looking for another alternative, maybe a little elastic, but who knows
smile.gif
Thanks all! -C.

carroll2001

Reaction score
It's only day 2, but the "pull" I mentioned above is starting to get annoying. To elaborate, the calf part of the pants tends not to slide when I go from a standing to a sitting position - typically if you watch your pant cuff, it will rise from the break of your shoe hell to above your ankle... when I go to sit down, the material behind my calf seems to drag up the back of my leg and not slide like my Banana / Express pants would. My knee is also catching (which seems to be where the "pull" on the calf material is coming from). I'm thinking it's the wool (100%), but it may also be the cut. I'll lay down the Ralph Lauren pants (haven't worn the Nautica 100% wools yet) next to my old Banana's / Express to see the amount of material each brand has/doesn't have around the calf -- I'm thinking it has to do with the circumference size around the calf. One other idea -- all of the Brand's wool pants have a silk / acetane (spelling?) insert that runs from the zipper area to the top of the knees on the inside-front of the pants. I believe this is to prevent the wool from itching/scratching my legs. If this material doesn't go down the inside-front of my pants as far on the Ralph's, maybe that's why my knee is "pulling" on my calf's material. Ok, it's definitely time to go home for the day... I think I've written more about this topic than necessary, who knows
smile.gif
-C.

krl925

Reaction score
I bought Express Agent pants for a similar reason you did. I've played baseball my whole life and being a catcher my quads are way bigger than the normal person. Finding pants to fit has been a problem until a couple years ago I found the Agent pants and like you said it wasn't that they are a great pant or anything they just fit really well (Especially the wool ones, most comfortable pant I have worn). When I found they fit I bought like 3 pair of every color! Its time for new pants now and it doesn't look like they are making the Agent anymore. Have you found anything similar? I'm in outside sales now in Florida heat so need pants that look nice but also can handle getting in and out of the car 10 times a day and being in and out of hot kitchens all day. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads