1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exposed waist: Your general thoughts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, Sep 11, 2012.

1. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Not tricky to find an example without "hands in the pocket" - just need to go to the HUGO website

[​IMG]

It just looks sloppy.

Unfortunately, one sees such "suits" also in professional settings. Then, I always hope that he wearer will finally take off his jacket. However, then they usually wear extra-triple-super-slim-fit shirts tailored for a close-to-body fit when standing, which implies that the nipples will squeeze through the fabric and the fabric will pull heavily on the buttons when they are sitting. Then I always hope that the wearer will put on his jacket. And that is when a vicious circle starts ...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I suspect it's the other way around--shorter jackets led to higher buttoning points. At least in Asia, tailors starting cutting jackets short in order to compensate for Asians' proportionally shorter legs. Makes the legs look a bit longer. Also makes it look like they are wearing a woman's jacket.

3. irgendwas

irgendwas Well-Known Member

I think that high-rise trousers are not incompatible with a slim cut. Slim-fitting trousers worn at or above the natural waist were pretty standard during the 19th century.

4. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I agree. Sean Connery as James Bond wore fairly trim suits (although I guess not by today's standards, but I think it's fair to say everyone would like to have a suit like his) and he wore high rise trousers.

5. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

This issue has me in a tizzy now, as I realize that I've had most of my suits over the last 5-6 years (I'm 30) made with medium rise trousers that allow for a slight peep of shirt and tie (thankfully I had side tabs put on most, so no belt buckle shows).

I should note, however, that I've found a few examples of men that are generally considered to be good dressers—even SF-approved—exhibiting this phenomenon, such as Matt Lauer, and (suited, recent) Alec Baldwin and Justin Timberlake. I even saw Flusser exposing some shirt!

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Justin Timberlake is anything but SF approved, no idea about the other two.

7. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I knew this would be a response. I specifically indicated that this is the recent, suited JT, who is by all measures decently attired. And yes, there have been many on SF that concur.

8. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

It's ugly, as is most modern "slim" suits.

Great Liverano jacket! I'm more and more fond of this cut, going to try it in the future. Could you post (or send me) a higher resolution photograph and share who is the bespeaker?

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some of the issue is caused by the manufacturers cutting "crooked" coats that cause the fronts to open this way below the button. The button position will have little, if any effect on this issue. Why change the style/cut of the trouser to correct or compensate for an issue in the jacket?

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Nope, not even the recently suited JT is 'SF approved'. He still has the awful habit of undoing his tie a bit and unbuttoning his first shirt button in an attempt to look edgy. Besides, we really shouldn't give a shit about what those kind of celebrities are wearing, as none of them is known for being well dressed.

1 person likes this.
  11. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

True, Connery's trousers were higher rise than we see today:

[​IMG]

12. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Can this be fixed via alteration?

13. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It's how the jacket's cut, and recutting is not something you want to do.