• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explosions in the Sky

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phenomenal band, don't have time for a good right up right now for the uninitiated, but is anyone going to the see them in Central Park on the 30th? Tickets are sold the **** out and all my friends are going...all the scalping sites are empty too.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Godspeed FTW!

Seriously though, all drone post-rock etc etc, even if I like it, sounds the same and follows the same song/album structure as every other band in the genre.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Godspeed FTW!

Seriously though, all drone post-rock etc etc, even if I like it, sounds the same and follows the same song/album structure as every other band in the genre.

confused.gif

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Godspeed FTW! Seriously though, all drone post-rock etc etc, even if I like it, sounds the same and follows the same song/album structure as every other band in the genre.
Originally Posted by Magician
confused.gif

+1 Damn it ed, between this and the Vampire Weekend thread, it's like you know what is what but you don't know what is what. What the ****?

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Honestly out of most of the post-rock/post-metal bands out there, I find myself ranking Explosions pretty low overall. While they have some great songs, I hate the whole association with "friday night lights", as all i can picture for a good handful of songs is a bunch of struggling confused teenage jocks proud of their high school careers.

I think some of This Will Destory You's material is better.

I'm actually more of a fan of Post-metal along the lines of Mouth of the Architect and Pelican.

Mogwai is pretty badass as well.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
+1

Damn it ed, between this and the Vampire Weekend thread, it's like you know what is what but you don't know what is what. What the ****?

I said I like the genre even if it is formulaic. I mean, that doesn't mean it is bad. Tom Wolfe writes largely the same story with the same characters but his novels are great.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
Honestly out of most of the post-rock/post-metal bands out there, I find myself ranking Explosions pretty low overall. While they have some great songs, I hate the whole association with "friday night lights", as all i can picture for a good handful of songs is a bunch of struggling confused teenage jocks proud of their high school careers.

I think some of This Will Destory You's material is better.

I'm actually more of a fan of Post-metal along the lines of Mouth of the Architect and Pelican.

Mogwai is pretty badass as well.

Friday Night Lights is really godamn good.

But yeah I skew more post-metal for my drones. When it comes to post-rock I'm all about GY!BE and A Silver Mt. Zion.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Friday Night Lights is really godamn good.

But yeah I skew more post-metal for my drones. When it comes to post-rock I'm all about GY!BE and A Silver Mt. Zion.

+1. I've never heard much of the band but hold them in higher esteem because of their association with FNL.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said I like the genre even if it is formulaic. I mean, that doesn't mean it is bad. Tom Wolfe writes largely the same story with the same characters but his novels are great.
Everything you say is wrong.

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place is absolutely unfuckwithable but i can take or leave the rest of their catalogue. Godspeed is pretty ******* great but hardly comparable to Explosions...

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole loud/soft instrumental rock thing of Mogwai/Mono/EITS is just one branch of post rock. Other branches draw influence from noise, electronic music, classical, and jazz. Between Slint, Sigur Ros, G!YBE, Do Make Say Think, Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Rachel's, Bardo Pond, Múm, Album Leaf, etc. I think there's enough variation where you'd be hard-pressed to call the genre formulaic, especially more so than any other genre.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
The whole loud/soft instrumental rock thing of Mogwai/Mono/EITS is just one branch of post rock. Other branches draw influence from noise, electronic music, classical, and jazz. Between Slint, Sigur Ros, G!YBE, Do Make Say Think, Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Rachel's, Bardo Pond, Múm, Album Leaf, etc. I think there's enough variation where you'd be hard-pressed to call the genre formulaic, especially more so than any other genre.
Good post. I'm always confused by people who say EITS is one of the lesser post-rock bands. Yeah, I've actually heard this before, it's not just Edina's goofyness.
laugh.gif
I think they have the best sense of melody and catharsis of any band I've ever listened to. Put on a great live show too. This Will Destroy You never did much for me. Their EP was different as an interesting and less direct and melodic take on the EITS formula but the LP kinda seemed plodding to me. Mono's new album is really lush, I enjoy it a lot. Mogwai's new album pissed me off a lot. Mr. Beast is always great though.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Good post.

I'm always confused by people who say EITS is one of the lesser post-rock bands. Yeah, I've actually heard this before, it's not just Edina's goofyness.
laugh.gif
I think they have the best sense of melody and catharsis of any band I've ever listened to. Put on a great live show too.

This Will Destroy You never did much for me. Their EP was different as an interesting and less direct and melodic take on the EITS formula but the LP kinda seemed plodding to me. Mono's new album is really lush, I enjoy it a lot. Mogwai's new album pissed me off a lot. Mr. Beast is always great though.

It's lesser in the sense that it's predictable and they do the same album/sounds over and over; the most accessible thus hipsters will **** on it.

P.S The only moment we were alone
worship.gif

Sigmatic

Reaction score
This Will Destroy You is not the greatest band, but they have the most epic band t-shirt EVER:
000-this_will_destroy_you-this_will_destroy_you.jpg

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It's lesser in the sense that it's predictable and they do the same album/sounds over and over; the most accessible thus hipsters will **** on it. P.S The only moment we were alone
worship.gif

Yeah that song makes me so emotional I feel like a teenage girl who just got her heart ripped out.
inlove.gif
I agree that it's somewhat predictable but that's part of why I like it so much. My response would be, well a number of songs really aren't predictable and their sound has definitely changed over their albums. How Strange, Innocence is a completely different sound and ambiance. Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, is significantly heavier and more in your face than anything else they've written. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is probably what people would consider their "sound" which is the peak of beauty to me. All of A Sudden I Miss Everyone takes that sound and approaches it from different angles, used some pretty different song structures and grooves and stuff...I guess the way I see it is, the band is really mature and essentially had perfected their sound pretty close to the beginning. As they continued writing records, they took their concept and executed it from different angles with a new purpose, so I think that might account for why some people think their sound has stayed the same. They are certainly one of the most recognizable post-rock, or any kind of band out there. TWDY's shirts are pretty amazing.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads