• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explain Paul Stuart-Grenson-Italian?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
aah, the dreaded vero cuoio consortium.
these grensons either outsourced their solings to this powerful european corporation or were refurbished by a cobbler who uses soles from this powerful european corporation

It's not a "powerful European corporation", it's a designation used by a consortium of Italian manufacturers. There is no single firm who owns the trademark for the Vero Cuoio designation.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i know it is not a powerful company, but a group of sole manufacturers. i was just plainly being facetious about it.
smile.gif

savage_here

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being thick and you guys are just playing around. But, doesn't vero cuoio just mean "genuine leather"?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savage_here
Maybe I'm being thick and you guys are just playing around. But, doesn't vero cuoio just mean "genuine leather"?

i invite you to look at www.verocuoio.it

shoes that have this stamp on the sole or insole means they have copped out at outsourcing a cheaper leather sole for savings.

brand names that copped out:
gucci
prada
armani
hugo boss
certain paul stuart
and surprisingly certain santoni. most notably the santoni fam

savage_here

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I was just confused b/c I have numerous leather goods other than shoes that have the Vero Cuoio designation stamped on them. I now see that what we are really talking about is the Vero Cuoio stamp along with the associated tm markings that designate this consortium for sole leathers.

Interesting.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i invite you to look at www.verocuoio.it

shoes that have this stamp on the sole or insole means they have copped out at outsourcing a cheaper leather sole for savings.

Cheaper leather or not, the "verio cuoio" soles on my Helmut Lang chelsea boots have served admirably. Better, dare I say, than the soles on my RLPL EG's...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a misunderstanding here:
- "Vero cuoio" simply means "genuine leather" - it is not a trademark
ulstuartbrownkiltietasselWT2.JPG

- there is a consortium of tanneries called "Vero Cuoio Italiano" which uses its own trademark logo (see below - it is a very specific logo, not simply the cowhide shape used universally to indicate leather, as seen above on the auction pic)
marchio.gif

- there are other professional associations (including the vegetable-tanned leather one linked to above).

In a word, there are no conclusions on quality that can be drawn from a simple "vero cuoio" stamp on Italian-made shoes. It is not an indication of provenance from a specific tannery, it just means it's leather

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but I believe that Italian sole leather is not of the highest quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads