• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explain "downtown" style

Goblin

Reaction score
I recently posted a couple of threads regarding a wardrobe shift to more blacks, grays, and a slimmer silhouette. Another poster referred to this as "downtown" style.

I know what that means in very broad strokes, but I'm hoping for a more detailed explanation. What kind of coats, slacks, suits, shirts, shoes, ties, accessories, etc. are considered "downtown"? What labels? Are there any "budget" labels that represent this sort of style? Any labels that frequently pop up on eBay?

I'm not necessarily going for a unified "downtown" theme, as I live and work in a small capital city that barely has a downtown, but there are some elements of what I think of as "downtown" style that appeal to me and, I think, look good on me.

Thanks as always for your help!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang, Prada, Jil Sander, Hussein Chalayan, Marc Jacobs, some John Varvatos, Agnes B, Ann Demeulemeester, Seize sur Vingt, etc.

Budget labels - H&M captures many of the above looks at 10-20% of their retail price.

Styles include dark fabrics, smooth textures vs. tweeds, fitted cuts, sharp lines, monochromatic schemes, narrow lapels, flat front pants, etc.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this term before. Sounds like stuff I have looked at and bought in the past though.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Helmut Lang, Prada, Jil Sander, Hussein Chalayan, Marc Jacobs, some John Varvatos, Agnes B, Ann Demeulemeester, Seize sur Vingt, etc.

Budget labels - H&M captures many of the above looks at 10-20% of their retail price.

Styles include dark fabrics, smooth textures vs. tweeds, fitted cuts, sharp lines, monochromatic schemes, narrow lapels, flat front pants, etc.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what differentiates this from the stereotypical, much-derided GQ/metrosexual look? Or is there a difference?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what differentiates this from the stereotypical, much-derided GQ/metrosexual look? Or is there a difference?
plucked eyebrows.... 15min a day for "downlow"... i mean "downtown"

20 min a day for "metrosexual"

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uptown was used to describe the "Harlem style of dressing". Although expensive, the clothing was on the flashy side of fashion. Downtown style was mostly Trad (bankers, stockbrokers, etc.).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One is stylish, the other is trendy. One reads AskMen, the other reads Styleforum. One likes Costume National, the other likes Kenneth Cole.

Helmut%20Lang-hombre%20formal%20gris.jpg

vs.

54792329.269698277_l.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is stylish, the other is trendy. One reads AskMen, the other reads Styleforum. One likes Costume National, the other likes Kenneth Cole.

Helmut%20Lang-hombre%20formal%20gris.jpg

vs.

54792329.269698277_l.jpg

AARGH!

Goblin

Reaction score
Jumping bald-headed Jesus on a pogo stick ... I just checked out the prices for some of those designers. Even at bluefly prices, that won't be happening any time soon.
blush.gif

There's an H&M in Columbus that I can visit. Their website is basically unnavigable, so I'll have to go to the store and check things out in person. I think their prices are more my speed.

With these guidelines, I think I can approximate parts of the look without breaking my bank. It'll just have to be with things like Lands' End "tailored fit" stuff and eBay scroungings instead of Jil Sander.
frown.gif

Two more questions - what are typical business shoes and tie colors/patterns that work with this kind of look?

Thanks ... I know these are pretty ignorant questions but I'm still kind of finding my professional style.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping bald-headed Jesus on a pogo stick ... I just checked out the prices for some of those designers. Even at bluefly prices, that won't be happening any time soon.
blush.gif

There's an H&M in Columbus that I can visit. Their website is basically unnavigable, so I'll have to go to the store and check things out in person. I think their prices are more my speed.

With these guidelines, I think I can approximate parts of the look without breaking my bank. It'll just have to be with things like Lands' End "tailored fit" stuff and eBay scroungings instead of Jil Sander.
frown.gif

Two more questions - what are typical business shoes and tie colors/patterns that work with this kind of look?

Thanks ... I know these are pretty ignorant questions but I'm still kind of finding my professional style.

Nah man, you can find those brands at Yoox.com, on Ebay, and in outlets for good prices, if you can hold off and wait for a deal.

Otherwise definitely check out H&M. Some of the stuff isn't superb, but every time I go in there I find a bunch of nice basic items, as well as some trendy items that I wouldn't buy from top designers due to cost and their short lifespan, but I would buy from H&M. They usually have a nice assortment of minimal and subdued pieces that would work well for the 'downtown' look.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I hear H&M stores are headache prone. Music too loud, unorganized, bad salespeople, etc.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My belief is that the term "downtown" refers to a variety of looks with eithe anti-establishment or counterculture touches.

It can range from an Oxbridge college graduate wearing a black suit, black shirt, black tie to someone in a goth outfit. "Downtown" may mean Greenwich Village but it's a state of mind. Really anything that goes against standard, traditional men's clothes can get the downtown look and there are many genres.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I hear H&M stores are headache prone. Music too loud, unorganized, bad salespeople, etc.
Sure but it's so damn cheap you really can't complain.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a better one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads