Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Explain "downtown" style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Goblin, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

I recently posted a couple of threads regarding a wardrobe shift to more blacks, grays, and a slimmer silhouette. Another poster referred to this as "downtown" style.

I know what that means in very broad strokes, but I'm hoping for a more detailed explanation. What kind of coats, slacks, suits, shirts, shoes, ties, accessories, etc. are considered "downtown"? What labels? Are there any "budget" labels that represent this sort of style? Any labels that frequently pop up on eBay?

I'm not necessarily going for a unified "downtown" theme, as I live and work in a small capital city that barely has a downtown, but there are some elements of what I think of as "downtown" style that appeal to me and, I think, look good on me.

Thanks as always for your help!

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Helmut Lang, Prada, Jil Sander, Hussein Chalayan, Marc Jacobs, some John Varvatos, Agnes B, Ann Demeulemeester, Seize sur Vingt, etc.

Budget labels - H&M captures many of the above looks at 10-20% of their retail price.

Styles include dark fabrics, smooth textures vs. tweeds, fitted cuts, sharp lines, monochromatic schemes, narrow lapels, flat front pants, etc.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Never heard of this term before. Sounds like stuff I have looked at and bought in the past though.

4. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Helmut Lang, Prada, Jil Sander, Hussein Chalayan, Marc Jacobs, some John Varvatos, Agnes B, Ann Demeulemeester, Seize sur Vingt, etc.

Budget labels - H&M captures many of the above looks at 10-20% of their retail price.

Styles include dark fabrics, smooth textures vs. tweeds, fitted cuts, sharp lines, monochromatic schemes, narrow lapels, flat front pants, etc.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what differentiates this from the stereotypical, much-derided GQ/metrosexual look? Or is there a difference?

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here, but what differentiates this from the stereotypical, much-derided GQ/metrosexual look? Or is there a difference?
    plucked eyebrows.... 15min a day for "downlow"... i mean "downtown"

20 min a day for "metrosexual"

6. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Uptown was used to describe the "Harlem style of dressing". Although expensive, the clothing was on the flashy side of fashion. Downtown style was mostly Trad (bankers, stockbrokers, etc.).

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

One is stylish, the other is trendy. One reads AskMen, the other reads Styleforum. One likes Costume National, the other likes Kenneth Cole.

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

One is stylish, the other is trendy. One reads AskMen, the other reads Styleforum. One likes Costume National, the other likes Kenneth Cole.

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

AARGH!

9. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Jumping bald-headed Jesus on a pogo stick ... I just checked out the prices for some of those designers. Even at bluefly prices, that won't be happening any time soon. [​IMG]

There's an H&M in Columbus that I can visit. Their website is basically unnavigable, so I'll have to go to the store and check things out in person. I think their prices are more my speed.

With these guidelines, I think I can approximate parts of the look without breaking my bank. It'll just have to be with things like Lands' End "tailored fit" stuff and eBay scroungings instead of Jil Sander. [​IMG]

Two more questions - what are typical business shoes and tie colors/patterns that work with this kind of look?

Thanks ... I know these are pretty ignorant questions but I'm still kind of finding my professional style.

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Jumping bald-headed Jesus on a pogo stick ... I just checked out the prices for some of those designers. Even at bluefly prices, that won't be happening any time soon. [​IMG]

There's an H&M in Columbus that I can visit. Their website is basically unnavigable, so I'll have to go to the store and check things out in person. I think their prices are more my speed.

With these guidelines, I think I can approximate parts of the look without breaking my bank. It'll just have to be with things like Lands' End "tailored fit" stuff and eBay scroungings instead of Jil Sander. [​IMG]

Two more questions - what are typical business shoes and tie colors/patterns that work with this kind of look?

Thanks ... I know these are pretty ignorant questions but I'm still kind of finding my professional style.

Nah man, you can find those brands at Yoox.com, on Ebay, and in outlets for good prices, if you can hold off and wait for a deal.

Otherwise definitely check out H&M. Some of the stuff isn't superb, but every time I go in there I find a bunch of nice basic items, as well as some trendy items that I wouldn't buy from top designers due to cost and their short lifespan, but I would buy from H&M. They usually have a nice assortment of minimal and subdued pieces that would work well for the 'downtown' look.

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I hear H&M stores are headache prone. Music too loud, unorganized, bad salespeople, etc.

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

My belief is that the term "downtown" refers to a variety of looks with eithe anti-establishment or counterculture touches.

It can range from an Oxbridge college graduate wearing a black suit, black shirt, black tie to someone in a goth outfit. "Downtown" may mean Greenwich Village but it's a state of mind. Really anything that goes against standard, traditional men's clothes can get the downtown look and there are many genres.

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I hear H&M stores are headache prone. Music too loud, unorganized, bad salespeople, etc.
    Sure but it's so damn cheap you really can't complain.

14. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Sure but it's so damn cheap you really can't complain.
    OH YEAH???

15. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

I got a better one
    [​IMG]