Expert Opinion: Tuxedo Shirt Defect?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mnc506, May 11, 2013.

1. mnc506

mnc506 Member

Instead of opting the MTM route, I recently purchased an OTC tuxedo shirt from a premier French designer (with intention of tailoring it). Unfortunately, they didn't have my size in stock, and the correct size was shipped to me from another store. I received the shirt and noticed an issue with the collar immediately. I have attached photos to the post, and I will withhold my opinion until I hear the thoughts from others on the board.

When I spoke to the store (in depth), they were adamant that it was not a "quality control issue." I'll spare you most of the discussion and the outcome until I get some comments.

Here we go:

1) Do you think there is any issue with the shirt collar?

2) Do you think this can be "ironed out"?

3) Is this an acceptable OTC product?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

3. mnc506

mnc506 Member

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

....troll alert.

Last edited: May 11, 2013

5. biged781

biged781 Senior member

Considering that you could have a bespoke shirt for that price (or less) I would want perfection. I wouldn't be happy with that dimple either. Looks like the stitching ran out toward the edge and some extra fabric was caught in the point.

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Ive bought brand new RLBL suits for less.... so ya

7. mnc506

mnc506 Member

I understand that's clearly a lot for a shirt; it's for a special situation. Most MTM/bespoke options that I was looking at were either slightly more expensive, or you needed to order 3-4 shirts. The collar fit on this shirt was excellent, and so I figured a tailored fit OTC could get me close to what I wanted for the better price.

I was just looking for some input on the collar, that's all.

They were willing to exchange for another shirt (of course), but were stunned when I thought this was a quality issue/manufacturing error.

8. mnc506

mnc506 Member

Clearly the stich on the left doesn't match the right; I agree.

9. csh212

csh212 Member

This clip seems to sum up your experience.
    Where exactly does one go to get a $395 low thread count shirt with an imperfect laminated collar that requires tailoring and pressing out.l?!? Not to mention the poor customer service. It sounds like you just donated to the "5th ave flagship store rent fund". Demand a refund and take your business elsewhere... anyone with experience with Ascot Chang?

10. mnc506

mnc506 Member

LOL. Now that was the type of reply I was expecting going to this message board. I guess I overreacted, but this was funny. I have heard mostly great things about Ascot Chang, but they have a 4 shirt min, so that balloons their reasonable prices to.... less reasonable.

Ultimately, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy about evaluating the shirt collar. Hopefully the next one that comes in is pucker-free.