• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expert help wanted: Tall people issues

Reaction score
I've been on the prowl across the threads for two days now looking for good suit brands for tall people. Unfortunately most threads are for tall skinny people and that just isn't me. I'm a 6'5" giant and 200 lbs (athletic build). I'm wanting to find a few brands that fit this build well without the hassle of doing the "fat guy in the little coat" impression. Any recommendations are welcomed but i'd like to keep the price around $1000 bucks since I have so many other projects going on right now. If need be I can post a body picture (I have more of a rectangle shaped torso).

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I have had to resort to MTM and would suggest the same to you.

If you don't want to go that route, you might want to take a look at the Washington fit (long) at Suit Supply. They ship right to your house and the return shipping, if it doesn't work, is totally free of cost or hassle.

Reaction score
I've looked at suit supply before and liked some of the style like the soft shoulder (I forgot what they called it). I've looked on the forum about suit supply and the impression I got is that they were so-so. I don't know much about MTM, are they good?

powerkicker

Reaction score

I've been on the prowl across the threads for two days now looking for good suit brands for tall people. Unfortunately most threads are for tall skinny people and that just isn't me. I'm a 6'5" giant and 200 lbs (athletic build). I'm wanting to find a few brands that fit this build well without the hassle of doing the "fat guy in the little coat" impression. Any recommendations are welcomed but i'd like to keep the price around $1000 bucks since I have so many other projects going on right now. If need be I can post a body picture (I have more of a rectangle shaped torso).    

At 6'3" at 200 pounds, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, and even Jo's A Bank 46l fit me well with just a few tweaks.

Reaction score

At 6'3" at 200 pounds, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, and even Jo's A Bank 46l fit me well with just a few tweaks.

Thanks, Hickey Freeman is a little up there but would you suggest a good website to look at them? I live in Oklahoma so there isn't much in the way of suit stores :violin:

powerkicker

Reaction score

Thanks, Hickey Freeman is a little up there but would you suggest a good website to look at them? I live in Oklahoma so there isn't much in the way of suit stores :violin:

I either thrift or buy my stuff off eBay for the most part. I have a Brooks Brothers and JAB local to me I visit too.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am built similarly to you (6' 4", ~205 lbs) and I pretty much buy all my suits off Ebay. You can get top tier suits there with a huge discount over retail. The trick is that you have to be careful and know your measurements. Also, you need to know what can reasonably altered and what can not. Every suit I have ever bought has been taken in at the waist, and let out across the back near the collar.

My advice:

1. Look on Ebay for a suit you like (gray, charcoal, navy, whatever) and pick a brand. I usually look at: Brioni, Oxxford, Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers, Canali, and sometimes Isaia and Zegna.

2. Check the size. I wear a 44L, but with a 34W, so I have to find a suit that fits that or is close. It normally narrows down the selection, but it can be done. You can have the waist taken in quite a bit on a jacket, but with suit pants, try not to aim for more than 1.5" either way. Sleeves are an easy alteration, but chest and shoulders are not.

3. Don't buy something with a defect thinking it can be fixed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've been eBay looking for a little while now and have found some good looking suits.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads