• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experiences with Ted Baker and Thomas Pink?

gateslion

Reaction score
What are your guys experiences with either of these labels?

I'm especially interested in fit. (Once again, in the postion of having to order online without being able to try anything on.)

I'm looking at trying the slim fit, but I'm a little worried my shoulders will be too broad. I already got screwed with English Laundry, (they just ran incredbly small.)

coop86

Reaction score
Thomas Pink:

Pros:
Pretty decent feeling fabric
Different color combos than most places
Slim fit fits nicely - might have to size up 1/2 inch though
the "Traveler" shirts are a cheaper but useful as "beater" shirts

Cons:
Slim fits cost more than normal fit which is stupid
All slim fits come with only plastic buttons that crack after a couple pressings

Never owned anything Ted Baker...

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
About Ted Baker....

Most of their fits are already on the slim side. Cuts are also more on the "Athletic" side and definitely trendy in design (nothing traditional).

Most of their products are made in China and find it hard to swallow forking over $800 bucks for a suit made from China.

Their ties on the other hand are quite nice. I am referring to their "archive" collection that's made in Italy. Other Ted Baker ties that are made in USA are a little on the cheap side and wouldn't spend more than $20 bucks on.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of Thomas Pink shirts. Nice design and really great slim fit (if a little short in the body). Material doesn't feel great however and they are horrible to iron. I much prefer the material used in TM Lewin shirts. Oh and plastic buttons.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1 with Imhoff.

Teddy Baker usually slim - athletic. Shirts can be interesting to look at, cheaper in Europe at full retail than here in US.

Suits - I always felt they were in principle nicely designed and slim fitting. Of course, they are fused and non canvassed which is a shame - $800 is much too much for them. If they were $250, I would not mind try it out just for the hell of it - even if it is made in China.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Both horrible

Ted Baker is like a poor man's Paul Smith / Etro. I can't believe they are charging USD800 for the suits, here in the UK they are around GBP250. In Selfridges (not great) collection of suits they are probably the worst. It's the kind of suit a 20 year old office junior would buy to try and look trendy.

Thomas Pink is Lewin quality at Hilditch and Key prices. Mediocre fabric, plastic buttons, don't wear well. The regular fit is like a tent, the slim fit is cut too short in the body. They do have about 800 colours in their shop which is why people go there I think. Also the slim fits are made in Morocco and retail for around GBP90, which is outrageous.

For similar pricepoints I would go for Marks and Spencer for suits and Hilditch or Eton for shirts. Or go online for the Italian brands (Barba, Finamore, Truzzi) for shirts, which beat the hell out of Pink.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of look with Thomas Pink. I find their slim fits are great and their extra slim fit is quite trendy. You have a lot of color choices, and the prices top out at $185ish. They have some cool skinny ties, too.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
About Ted Baker.... Most of their fits are already on the slim side. Cuts are also more on the "Athletic" side and definitely trendy in design (nothing traditional). Most of their products are made in China and find it hard to swallow forking over $800 bucks for a suit made from China. Their ties on the other hand are quite nice. I am referring to their "archive" collection that's made in Italy. Other Ted Baker ties that are made in USA are a little on the cheap side and wouldn't spend more than $20 bucks on.
You can find Ted Baker shirts at Filene's for less than $50 and suits at ~$200. Both their patterns and their quality seem questionable at best.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
You can find Ted Baker shirts at Filene's <$50 quite often and suits ~$200.

Both their patterns and their quality seem questionable at best.

I suppose at those prices it is easier to stomach. We just have the Retail store here in Scottsdale which charges full retail + markup since you know, it's "Imported".

The only thing I enjoy from Ted Baker are the ties and Tedtini's they serve for free at events. That and those events bring out all the Scottsdale sloots. MONEY!

chroMe

Reaction score
ted baker is uneducated essex boy and thomas pink is his older brother working in the city

tacobender

Reaction score
I like Thomas pink, I find the slim fit shirts to be of good quality. To me, it seems that they are not comparable to Ted Baker as I view Ted Baker to be a poor mans paul smith and the materials they use to be garbage. The fit on ted baker is boxy...

Thomas Pink never did me wrong fit or quality wise.

gateslion

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I'll have to do a little looking around. I guess I also should have specified. I was not so much looking at theit shirts from an actual suit and tie perspective. I was considering some of their shirts as part of my unbuttoned, dress shirt and slacks or button down with nice jeans, bar wear and nightclub section. That's also what drew me to the slightly more aggressive colors and patterns. I'd certainly wear a rich purple or burgundy out at night, but probably not to the office.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Thomas Pink was a decent store
back when it had only a few locations
all in London.
I'm remembering the one on Dover Street.
That was the original.
It was so small
one could barely turn around inside.

Of course,
the owners sold,
and, as usual,
the story after
is all downhill.

Very sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads