Experiences with Crockett & Jones Handgrade?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

What do people think about these shoes?

I may be in Charleston soon and thought I may try a pair from Ben Silver. I guess I'm most curious about fit, durability and overall construction/style...any opinions or advice?

Are they still a decent value at $595?

2. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

They're probably the best of the "mid level" brands (or what are considered mid level) on this forum. People will probably say they're readily available for much less, though.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

My sample size is small (three) but my C&J HGs compare very favourably to my Lobbs (two, non-Prestige) and EGs (one). I'm talking general comfort, fit, design and 'quality' (however one chooses to define it). All things being equal, I'd choose EGs before C&J HGs before Lobbs (my Lobbs anyway) but I couldn't justify the price differential.

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Is Pediwear less money? The downside is sizing...I'm always concerned about UK sizing since I have bought UK shoes where the sizing has been very variable.

Great question: Could it be due to different models from different years?

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Is Pediwear less money? The downside is sizing...I'm always concerned about UK sizing since I have bought UK shoes where the sizing has been very variable.

My experience with C&J has been that they run true to size: US10D equals GB9 medium, but I can fit into them if they're half a size either way. (Sample size=3)

7. Georges5

Georges5 Senior member

They're probably the best of the "mid level" brands (or what are considered mid level) on this forum. People will probably say they're readily available for much less, though.

I'm 100% OK with it..I've about 100 shoes of different brandt and 5 or 6 C&J old of 5 to 7 years..All are just like NEW ...I bought just on the Handgrave production.
    Best regards.

Georges

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I may be in Charleston soon and thought I may try a pair from Ben Silver. I guess I'm most curious about fit, durability and overall construction/style...any opinions or advice?

I think C&Js are great shoes. I own and wear a large quantity of EG/Lobb/C&J and they're in my rotation as much as the other shoes are, and have held up just as well, and I love the aesthetics. Pediwear and Plal are a much more affordable way to get them, though.

9. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

At $600, I would just cough up the extra cash and get the EGs or GGs. But if you order them from Plal at $400 then its a very solid deal

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

I'm thinking of getting a C&J 'Handgrade' - never had them before. Any good? Are they better than Edward Green? EG is obviously more expensive - £550 ish. Handgrade - £400.

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm thinking of getting a C&J 'Handgrade' - never had them before. Any good? Are they better than Edward Green? EG is obviously more expensive - £550 ish. Handgrade - £400.

Good? Yes.
    Better than EG? No.

12. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

Plal doesn't sell shoes via the Internet anymore. You have to go to Malaysia.

At $600, I would just cough up the extra cash and get the EGs or GGs. But if you order them from Plal at $400 then its a very solid deal

13. Bellison

Bellison Senior member

Handgrades are noticeably better than benchgrade. And almost as good as eg and g&g. But not quite.

14. MMorley

MMorley Well-Known Member

Imo, handgrade C&J is awesome. The problem is the fact that the price keeps getting higher whereas the quality does not go up. At the moment, I'd say 600 USD is too much.

15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

I guess it's an impossible question to really answer unless, of course, you are in the trade. At the very top (EG, C&J 'H', Lobb) there can only be marginal differences, which are probably not noticable anyway. Actually, a C&J MTO 'H' is about £680 or so, which is considerably more than many RTW EGs! I am considering a MTO. Is it worth it? I don't know. Bear in mind that that's £280 more for a MTO, and I'd imagine exactly the same 'H' leather is used.