• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experienced hat wearers: The risk of a hat falling off in the wind

Interface

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting myself a nice hat. But on the other hand, I don't want to look stupid when the hat falls off in the wind, requiring me to chase it like an idiot. So my question is: How likely is this to happen? Maybe it's just a myth that this tends to happen more often for hats than for other kinds of headwear? Any comments on this, especially from regular and experienced hat wearers, would be appreciated.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always figured this happened when the hat was too big for my head.

DredgersUnion

Reaction score
The wind isn't really an issue as long as the brim is small... I've been wearing a good old "stingy" brim pork pie (both wool and straw) everyday for years, and have never had this happen once.

Keep the brim under 1 1/2". 1" is the best.

You can find this one at www.dredgersunion.com

Made in the USA... 100% wool, $67

N. McKay

Reaction score
It's not something I've had a lot of trouble with. It's usually enough to make a small adjustment to my hat and/or cant my head slightly so that the wind acts on top of the brim (to hold it on my head) rather than under the brim (tending to lift it off).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
fixeditp1.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads