1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Experienced hat wearers: The risk of a hat falling off in the wind

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Interface, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Interface

Interface Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting myself a nice hat. But on the other hand, I don't want to look stupid when the hat falls off in the wind, requiring me to chase it like an idiot. So my question is: How likely is this to happen? Maybe it's just a myth that this tends to happen more often for hats than for other kinds of headwear? Any comments on this, especially from regular and experienced hat wearers, would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I always figured this happened when the hat was too big for my head.

3. DredgersUnion

DredgersUnion Member

The wind isn't really an issue as long as the brim is small... I've been wearing a good old "stingy" brim pork pie (both wool and straw) everyday for years, and have never had this happen once.

Keep the brim under 1 1/2". 1" is the best.

You can find this one at www.dredgersunion.com

Made in the USA... 100% wool, $67

[​IMG]

4. N. McKay

N. McKay Well-Known Member

It's not something I've had a lot of trouble with. It's usually enough to make a small adjustment to my hat and/or cant my head slightly so that the wind acts on top of the brim (to hold it on my head) rather than under the brim (tending to lift it off).

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member