• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with this Loake(Hickstead Waxy) Boot?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had experience with this Loake boot, whether it's good/bad/ugly?

It's the Hickstead, in 'Brown Waxy Leather.' It looks attractive, and I found a good deal on Herring in my size. But I don't want something with nasty leather.

loakeh.jpg

Augusto86

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and bought it...I tell everyone how it is when I get it with piccy goodness.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I own them and so do afew other members I believe. They are good boots and served me well the last two winters. I had a very thin rubber sole attached and this allowed me to not worry about the sole in inclement weather.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I own them and so do afew other members I believe. They are good boots and served me well the last two winters. I had a very thin rubber sole attached and this allowed me to not worry about the sole in inclement weather.

Do you mean worry about slipping or about destroying the soles of the boot?

minya

Reaction score
I like that boot a lot -- may I ask where you purchased? (Are more available?)

Augusto86

Reaction score
Herring Shoes - herringshoes.co.uk. They sell factory seconds and remainders/discontinues for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of regular shoes - Church's, Loake, Barker.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look - but how do you guys polish them - or maintain them? Polishing looks like it would get rid of the waxy look - is there a waxy look polish?

Augusto86

Reaction score
Well, they fit perfectly and have a nice finish. So this is my first pair of brown, leather-soled, english shoes.

As you can see they ARE seconds - not perfect.

HPIM1126.jpg

I like the last and the shape of the gussets.

HPIM1133.jpg

Looking good with jeans.

HPIM1131.jpg

And finally, a closer look at leather quality - pretty good.

HPIM1140.jpg

HPIM1141.jpg

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I like the look - but how do you guys polish them - or maintain them? Polishing looks like it would get rid of the waxy look - is there a waxy look polish?

I use Paraboot Beeswax in dark brown (Marron Fonce)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads