1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Made in China cashmere sweaters?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jul 31, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I know a bunch of people who are going to the States who are taking cashmere sweaters purchased in China, for extremely low prices. I was curious if anyone had any recent experiences with these products.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Quality isn't as high as those made in Scotland, Italy, or England, but neither is the price. In my experience they pill a little quicker, and don't keep their shape as well

The trade off is price. A good cashmere sweater will run about $400-600+ at full retail, and perhaps $100-300 on sale.

A Chinese cashmere sweater will run $75-200 at full retail in the states (at department stores), $50-70 at places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, and $15-40 on clearance at Marshalls and TJs.

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Ah. An incredible and practical bargain, then, for a tropical country Asian who purchased a couple in mainland China and is going somewhere for just a couple of winters.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Out of curiousity, how much did you pay? I'd guess around US$20.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Heh, I'm annoyed because I didn't. A few people who came from China or whose parents or relatives came from China informed me of this solution to their sweater problems. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $15.

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

The best cashmere value I have found is the J. Crew around $100-140 which uses Loro Piana yarn.

Be careful of pilling with some of the lower grades.

Cashmere frustrates me as a shopper because the different grades are not marked. They need an A-B-C-D grading system. The ones I have from Italy and Scotland seem superb. The Loro Piana sweaters I have in a cashmere/silk blend are very durable and feel super soft.

7. abc123

abc123 Senior member

How is the quality of the Ralph Lauren (not purple label) cashmere? I just picked one up, and while its certainly nice, it doesn't feel any better than several of the J Crew ones I own (though it does seem to be better made and probably more durable). I'm certainly not complaining, as I got it for $50 (from 400), but considering its between 2 and 3 times the price of the J Crew ones, I would fingure that it should be of noticeably better quality... Of course, I may just not know what to look for...

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Chinese cashmere sweaters are crap (though some italian ones are too). They pill very easily after a couple of wearings and lose their shape.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Other than Tse cashmere sweaters, I stick with Scotland or Italian ones. Those made in Scotland are to beat.