• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

experience with lobb william

dandy1

Reaction score
I went to lobb in london with the intention of buying a pair of William double monks. Seeing them in person was a bit of a surprise as the double leather sole is even chunkier than i imagined. What would SFers wear these with as they seem like a very casual shoe and i imagine they wouldnt really go with a tie and blazer? correct me if i am wrong?

Also I found on trying them on the leather on the back heel is stiff as a board. The store assistant said that this was because the leather is reinforced inside. Does anyone have experience of wearing these, do they break in after a little while with this leather becoming softer?

dandy/

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two pairs in black and brown. I wear mine with casual clothing and sport coat and tie. I've also worn them with a suit, though I don't do this regularly. One pair is a couple years old and the other is about a year old; both have held up very well.

dandy1

Reaction score
thanks jayjay.

did you find the leather esp the back of the heel softens up with wear?

dandy/

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thanks jayjay.

dandy/

the stiff heel is a trademark of quality shoes.

dandy1

Reaction score
sure you want a stiff heel .. but perhaps the last isnt great for my foot shape as I found that as I bent the foot there was pressure on the outside portion of the heel .. its difficuly to tell if the last doesnt suit or if i just need the leather to soften up slightly .. its the kind of risk you dont want to take on a pair of 1000 buck shoes!

dandy

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have two pairs in black and brown. I wear mine with casual clothing and sport coat and tie. I've also worn them with a suit, though I don't do this regularly. One pair is a couple years old and the other is about a year old; both have held up very well.

JayJay my compliments to you and a question: how would you describe sizing on the William in comparison to American sizing?

Ivon

Reaction score
I have a pair in Black Buffalo, they are 8.5UK and they fit like a tts US 9D, more or less. They might me closer to a 9.5US in fact. Length is good, but it seems a touch wider than any other 8.5UK shoe I own. Of the shoes I own, closest in fit terms is a pair of AE Sanfords in 9D. My other Lobbs seem a bit tighter and snugger than the William. It might be the last, I think the William is on the 9675 last (something like that), while the others are on the 7000 or loafer last.

Bought them three months ago and the leather is only now starting to soften up. The shoe is not really meant for formal suits, but I have worn them with a suit. Hope this helps.

Ivon

Reaction score
Forgot to add, I don't think the soles are that thick, standard double sole, nowhere near like on Trickers or Sargent brogues.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own Lobb Williams and several other models. Their leather quality is as good as any shoemaker, but the trade off is that they also seem to take a while to break in. Once they do, they become very comfortable if you select the right size. I find they are best when the heel has a good, solid fit but I have plenty of room to wiggle my toes. Lobbs never seem to become truly broken in until the soles get good and wet while walking in them.

I have a pair of Williams and Russells that are are some of the most comfortable shoes I own. I would take them if I was walking around a city all day. Plus, they both get a lot of compliments.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JayJay my compliments to you and a question: how would you describe sizing on the William in comparison to American sizing?

Sizing is fine, and consistent on all my Lobbs. I wear UK 10 which is US 11 in Lobb.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thanks jayjay.

dandy/

I've not noticed this. I use a shoe horn to put them on, and after they are on, they're fine for a full day of wear.

dandy1

Reaction score
hmm thanks guys, i get the impression they need a long break in period but become v comfortable afterwards ..

they definately are an old school english shoe .. weighty, solid shoes. when looking at lobbs shoes i definately got the impression that their lines fall into two distinct camps, the old school pre hermes lobbs which are very english in look and feel and the modern fashion forward ones with a more euro look and feel .. these are very much in the former category.

dandy/

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to reach for my black pair this morning. I love these shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads