1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Allen Edmonds - Advice?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by barracudapartne, Jul 11, 2012.

1. barracudapartne

barracudapartne Well-Known Member

I went to Allen Edmonds today and bought the Park Avenue in Black and the Kenilworth (http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1) in Brown.

I tried them both in on the store and walked around for a while in them. The Park Avenue felt better, but the Kenilworth did feel alright, although not as roomy.

I decided to "break-in" my new shoes by walking around for the next 2 hours at the nearby outdoor mall. Sure enough, I started to get a lot of pain in my right foot near the toes - where it felt like the big toe and little toe were hitting the outside of the shoe - feeling like the shoe was a bit too narrow.

Of course, because it was an outdoor mall, the bottom sole was all scuffed up.

I brought it in a few hours later, and they said they will try stretching it overnight (it's part of the process they have to go through).

If that doesn't work, he said we'll take it from there, and said that we'll take care of you.

Think I'll be able to get a free exchange for another shoe in case the stretching doesn't work?

Has anyone had a similar problem, and has stretching the shoe fixed it?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

How exactly is this a miserable experience?

3. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Judging from your threads, I don't think clothing or shoes are for you.

4. barracudapartne

Agreed

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

What a drama queen.

6. Medtech71

Medtech71 Well-Known Member

I think Walmart has a Dr Scholl's section??

7. barracudapartne

yes?

8. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Stretching typically works well. I've found that for AE's a slightly tighter fit is better to start with, since mine seem to stretch over time and if the heel portion is lose, it hurts like hell b/c it scrapes the ankle.

9. barracudapartne

Yes -- Unfortunately the area that needs to be stretched is in the toe-box area.

It's a fine looking shoe, so I hope it works. Otherwise, I'm going to go with the Fifth Ave.

10. barracudapartne

I hope so.

Unfortunately where it needs to be stretched is in the toe-box area, so I doubt they can do too much, but we will see.

It's a fine looking shoe, so if I need to exchange it, I'll probably go with the Fifth Ave.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

:lol:
    Stretching will probably do the trick. I am suprised he can offer you a 24hr turnaround. My cobbler makes me wait 3 days for any stretching job.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  12. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

You bought shoes made on a narrow, so tightness should not have been a surprise. (Did they inform you about different lasts, etc.?)

I think you're treated like a king if they offer to stretch the shoe overnight and then "take it from there." If the stretch does not work, ask for a wider size. I have AE shoes made on the same last in different widths, same size length, and I can tell you that the wider size fit much better and required 0 break in time.

13. houkah

houkah Well-Known Member

They will probably let you exchange it if it's still not fitting. I had the exact same problem with loafers and exchanged them 3 times before i found one that fit correctly. Every time i had worn them outside and scuffed them up as i can't seem to get a good feel for the shoes unless i wear them to work. They seem to have fantastic customer service.

14. barracudapartne

That's good to know. Which store location?

15. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

:rotflmao: What next? Fork and knife? This has to be a put on, yeah?

I wonder if there are some other Bain blokes on this forum. They have to be :facepalm:

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, you have a long way in front of you... no pun intended.

the elevator is going below the basement atm.

17. houkah

houkah Well-Known Member

That was the Washington DC store. Everyone there was very helpful. Spoke to 2 different people. (Freia and Brian)

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Perhaps if you added a few inches to your height with elevator shoes you would be taken more seriously and receive better service.