• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Alden Cordovan?

Dan G

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thinking about ordering a pair of alden leisure handsewn loafers. I usually wear a 11.5, but have heard that the cordovan will stretch over time. Would I be safe ordering an 11? Does this model run relatively true to size? I am an 11.5 in other aldens, most AE, grensons, polo made crocketts, etc.

Thanks

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fairly standard 11D, and I picked up a pair of Alden LHS in an odd color of cordovan at a good price in a 10.5D. I was hoping that the "size down when you get cordovan" advice would work for me. It did not. I didn't even bother trying to get one of them on b/c it was so tight. That being said, I have not tried them in an 11D - maybe they'd be too big and my best option really would be to jam myself into the 10.5 until they worked themselves out a bit.

Dan G

Reaction score
that's too bad. anyone else try this?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for Alden, but my stepson's half-brother had to go down a full size when he bought a pair of A-E MacNeils in shell to get a good fit when we were out at the Cabazon outlet a couple of years ago.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will have to try them on. I have seen some Alden loafers run absolutely massive, others more normal.

I would not take cordovan stretch into consideration though, they should fit correctly out of the box. Buy the one that fits - not 1/2 size smaller than the one that fits.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two pieces of advice:

1. As others have said, don't rely on size numbers; rely on fit. It doesn't matter if it's shell.

2. If it's a slip-on (shell OR calf), buy it a little smaller. That's because you can't compensate for stretching later on like you can with a laced shoe.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
don't rely on size numbers; rely on fit.
Alden's "Leisure Handsewn Moccasin" comes on the "˜Van' last. This is actually a quite big last.

Alden-of-Carmel advises to take the shoe somewhat smaller:
Van last - 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size
But..........and that's a very big but: the shoe is rather shallow in the instep. If you have in any way a high-ish instep, you are in trouble.

You really have to try them on.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally a size 12D. I took a chance and bid on a pair of 12.5C Alden Shell LHS and the fit is good for me. No slippage and the strap is comfortably snug with a normal amount of space in the toe box. There is no way I could size down to 11.5D LHS.

I also picked up a used pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers shell cordovan LHS in size 12D and they fit like a glove with toe wriggle room. They are a more form fitting moccasin than the LHS which feels more like a shoe.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
..........and that's a very big but

It's generally not polite to point such things out.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
It's generally not polite to point such things out.
laugh.gif
devil.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads