• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience from Swaine Adeney Brigg Gladstone bag?

Bartholomeus

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I just joined this forum to ask if anyone has any experience from the Swaine Adeney Brigg Gladstone bag?

(http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/produc...d_h/index.html)

£2460 is a lot of money so before I invest I'd like to know if anyone has anything negative to say about it
smile.gif

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a movie prop from Indiana Jones.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
I was considering purchasing one at one point, and I probably still will eventually. Most of the reviews I found mentioned that, while the bag was certainly magnificent to behold, it was also heavy, cumbersome, and too large to be suited for carry-on luggage (what I wanted at the time). I imagine it's best used for train or car trips. I suppose one could check the bag, but I prefer to use something more properly suited for the demands of checked luggage, especially at that price point.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered buying one on several occasions but always passed on it because it was just too heavy. Even a version that they had that was leather and canvas was too heavy.

It is beautiful to look at but it should come with a full time porter to carry it.

I would never check it on an airline. You would never see it again.

ndw

Reaction score
Really a beautiful bag, but I wouldn't buy it. I had a similar (but less structured) Cucinelli bag that was quite possibly the coolest bag I'd ever seen, but, like the bag in the OP, it didn't have a shoulder strap. I took it on exactly 3 weekend trips and then sold it because it was too heavy and a pain to carry by a handle.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
Really a beautiful bag, but I wouldn't buy it. I had a similar (but less structured) Cucinelli bag that was quite possibly the coolest bag I'd ever seen, but, like the bag in the OP, it didn't have a shoulder strap. I took it on exactly 3 weekend trips and then sold it because it was too heavy and a pain to carry by a handle.

Plebe. Clearly, such bags are meant to be carried by your footman.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Plebe. Clearly, such bags are meant to be carried by your footman.

laugh.gif
I should have clarified. It was too much of a pain for my footmen to carry me and the bag at the same time without the shoulder strap. My feet never touch the ground and therefore the soles of my shoes stay pristine. Never any creases or scuffs.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
laugh.gif
I should have clarified. It was too much of a pain for my footmen to carry me and the bag at the same time without the shoulder strap. My feet never touch the ground and therefore the soles of my shoes stay pristine. Never any creases or scuffs.

Pictures, please!
laugh.gif

Bartholomeus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

However, weight is not a problem. I am a strong man, and can carry a heavy bag. Rather: it's worth a little deltoid-pain to be the coolest cat in town
smile.gif

And I agree with pocketsquareguy, I'd never let the bag be thrown around as when checked in for flight.

So, if there are no cons except for the weight and ones inability to fly with it I'll buy it. Ok?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so despite being told that carrying such a bag is impractical and anachronistic, and likely will mark you as a tool/cad/douche who should be robbed, you are still going to buy it.
facepalm.gif

Then why the hell did you ask in the first place?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently brought myself a Gladstone (not the SAB) and find it great - a bit bigger than a briefcase and hence more versatile, and the frame design makes loading and unloading really easy. Mine doesn't have straps; I think they'd drive me a bit nuts.

Oh, and the weight doesn't bother me, though someone else picked it up and commented on it...

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this SAB bag in chestnut. It is heavy but, like you, that is not a problem for me. It is too big to be an airline carryon and should not be checked baggage but then I did not buy it for airline travel. If you don't intend to use it on planes, then by all means go ahead and buy it. I have no idea how Lee reaches his conclusions by reading the posts in this thread.

The only other piece of advice that has not been mentioned is that its capacity is smaller than may appear at first blush. Because of the sharp angles at the top of the bag, the capacity is not height X width X length. From my measurements, the usable capacity is about 2300 square inches.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
so despite being told that carrying such a bag is impractical and anachronistic, and likely will mark you as a tool/cad/douche who should be robbed, you are still going to buy it.
facepalm.gif

Then why the hell did you ask in the first place?

Dude,your rage full posts are good sometimes but it gets old quickly,chill out,take a pill and get laid. Are you this angry in real life too?

Nice bag by the way,I'd buy it if I actually had need for it and could afford it.

Bartholomeus

Reaction score
Thanks a lot brax.

No need to get hostile, lee.

Brax, for how long have you had it? Any remarks on the quality of the hardware or the stitching? If I buy this one, I want it to last for (at least) my lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads