• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive ties- how can people tell?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
Charvey?
patch[1].gif

It's a freaking typo. "Y" and "T" are adjacent.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
high sheen and loud color patterns

You might want to look at some Talbott 7-folds. They're loud and expensive. You might also want to ask yourself why you want something purely to show off how expensive it is. Those who you are trying so hard to impress might consider you a gauche fool.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Manton +1
Manton +1
Film Noir Buff +1

Beautifully stated, both of you.
I can add nothing.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It's interesting that I rarely notice an expensive looking tie on someone but I never forget a cheap looking one.

This is exactly what I was going to post as I was reading through this thread. A cheap tie shows itself from 20 feet away. I agree with all the other sentiments about an expensive tie being hard to spot. If the "2%" who care about clothes would recognize the difference between the solid navy tie I got in an out-of-town emergency one day for $10 and my solid navy tie I paid $100 for, I would be surprised.

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Sir,

I have the perfect solution to your quandary. I will sell you a Charvet tie, and in magic marker write the price on the front, that way everyone will know you are a baller when it comes to ties. Failing that I can bedazzle a tie with rubies. Your choice.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you get your expensive tie, make sure to leave the label on the sleeve of your suit too.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No "regular" person is going to be able to tell. Even the people here will not infallibly be able to tell a $150 tie from a $50 simply by observing it on the wearer.

I've just noticed that the typical cheap brand ties dont knot very well, while its certainly not infallible.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Leave the price tag on, if you're that set on showing people how expensive it was.

+1
And staple some bills to it.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at least the OP is honest about what he's looking for. Wear a Hermes tie, people will either get it or they won't. LV also makes ties that almost always incorporate the logo in some way or another.

Ties aren't really meant to be flashy and signal how much money you have. They're supposed to be like little pieces of art, the cheap stuff and expensive stuff are almost indistinguishable to the untrained eye. Also cheap ties form ****** knots.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agreed, thats where watches work best.

IMO, almost anyone can afford even the most expensive ties. It depends more on price threshold then buying ability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads